HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

Just got mine all the main broadcast channels in Portland appear to be converted. gonna give channels a whirl using it ...

FYI... Austin only has one station LIVE at this point. KEYE 42 CBS. Looks VERY early. Channels will start streaming with a stutter of Audio and then the picture freezes. I was able to get it to stream on Plex, but again, No audio. For now, the 4K is secondary to my EXTEND.

Testing to continue once more stability in the stations themselves.

Beta builds are available for android and apple with improvements for ATSC3 broadcasts.

Stations in Phoenix are broadcasting broken audio so it will not work there. See https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/search.php?keywords=Phoenix&t=73536&sf=msgonly and https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74352

2 Likes

I just tried it on my FireTV Cube and it is working. Going to try Google TV. Also working on GoogleTV. Getting slight pauses once in a while watching LiveTV.

2020/10/19 16:55:12.818514 [TNR] Opened connection to 1080ACCC/0 for ch2.1 KATU [transcode=none]

@tmm1 .. In Portland Area all our main broadcast are broadcasting ASTC 3.0. So I will move it to the top in my Tuners... Recorded TV in ASTC 3.0 is playing great no pauses ... just once in a while get a quick pause when watching live TV

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

I'm seeing those same minor pauses in live TV in Portland. I'm also noticing that motion seems a little jerky at times, even in recordings. It almost looks like 3:2 pulldown. Currently watching on a Chromecast with Google TV.

Just checking in from Austin with a new 4K tuner. Just the one station in ATSC 3, with a similar experience as others. The beta ATV app is an improvement over the release version, but still choppy with sound issues. Tried on my iPad (release version) with similar results. The ATSC 3 station does take a bit longer to begin playing than other channels.

Let me know if there is anyway I can help

A little off topic but it has to do with this Beta ... Why the Change to the on now ? Tiny boxes VS what it had before ?

Not sure what you mean. If there is a bug or unexpected change please open a new thread and post a photo.

Tried to watch the World Series live but the pauses were really annoying.

its in 4k (ish) on fox now and fox sports app in the meantime.

Hitting Record on the world series then watching the recording plays great ... another reason to move the buffer to the DVR.... No Pauses unlike when watching Live.

I have the same experience. Live TV is unwatchable because of frequent pauses and glitches. Rewinding I can see that those pauses and glitches are actually in the buffer. Recording live TV and playing it back from the server just a few seconds behind live works pretty much flawlessly.

Using v 20201022 of the HDHR-4k firmware, video and audio are working good. Only issue are small pauses on occasion. The latest firmware tunes the ATSC 3.0 channels much faster.

Please submit diagnostics from the app after a few of the pauses. How often are they occurring?

Will do. How often seems to depend on the channel.

Submitted at 4:02pm. 4-5 small pauses within 1 minute (channel 5.1 / CBS)

Submitted at 4:07pm due to a crash. (I sent an email abt this yesterday). While playing an ATSC 3.0 channel, the Channels App crashes and reloads.

Android TV / Shield.

It seems to me like the video/audio is playing at the wrong speed. I did a back and forth test between the same channel with mpeg2 and HEVC. The announcers for the football game sounded slightly higher pitch on the HEVC channel, and I'm still seeing minor glitches with the latest hdhr firmware and the latest Channels beta on my Chromecast with Google TV. The audio is also much quieter on the HEVC stream, but that could be a difference in the encoding.

@tmm1 - One of my Shields just updated to a new version of the Channels App (10.22.2355). Sound is gone. The Shields that haven't updated yet have sound but pause or crash.

Update: After further observation and tests, while the sound is gone using the latest update on the Shield, I'm seeing playback at the wrong speed. Also, the playback jumps (not the small pauses). If I turn the volume to 100, I can hear some sound but it is garbled.