How do you make the bottom information bar go away quickly?

When you FF re RWD, the bottom information bar pops up.
It's useful, but I can't get rid of it quickly enough.
I'm watching the US Open now, and it's blocking the scoreboard.

2 Likes

An option to not show it at all would be great. When I forward 30s or re 10s prefer not seeing the bar.

1 Like

Hit the Back button.

1 Like

To hide the timeline, you can tap on the Apple TV remote or press Up on an Android TV remote. On a mobile device you can tap the screen.

1 Like

To hide the timeline, you can tap on the Apple TV remote or press Up on an Android TV remote. On a mobile device you can tap the screen.

You can tap the screen to hide it when you tapped the screen to bring it up in the first place.

But when the timeline popped up because you FF or RWD, it doesn't go away when you tap the screen.
You have to wait a few seconds.

Hit the Back button.

Ok, maybe I should have been more specific. I'm dealing with the iOS (iPad) app.
There is no "back" button.

2 Likes

It's supposed to go away always when you tap the screen. There may be a bug if that's not happening.

Completely agree. It should only come up when holding the button for extended ff and rw. This is in the top two most annoying things in channels.

1 Like

I agree as well. I would love an option to turn it off all together. Sometimes in pops up for an imperceptible interruption in a show that I wouldn’t notice but for the bar.

1 Like

I always time the tapping on mobile device wrong. I wait a couple seconds for the bottom bar to go away, but just when I run out of patience and go to tap it disappears as I'm tapping and I just bring it back up... Always been a problem for me so I just try to wait it out. Perhaps a slightly shorter on-screen time would help?

I think there is a bug then.
It seems to work as you described rarely. Most of the time, the timeline bar doesn't go away when it was brought up by FF or RWD.
No idea what makes it work and what makes it not work. I tried with the most recent app.

Try the latest beta

2 Likes

Or at least give it some transparency on sporting events or sports channels like ESPN. Then we could see what's going on behind it.

I find it annoying when rewinding for replay.

1 Like

I just don’t understand the need for it at all in a skip forward or backward single tap situation. It gives no useful information that isn’t already known. I know what I’m watching, I don’t need to be reminded every time I’m skipping from snap to snap of a football game. Sure it needs to pop up in a hold the button ff rw situation for the timeline bar. So frustrating when it can be accomplished if the devs wanted to do it. The bottom bar doesn’t pop up when a commercial is skipped automatically so it’s obviously possible to skip without a bar popping up

1 Like

Because the app can't read your mind. If it didn't show for skipping, you'd never see the timeline to know how far you're going. And this is very normal behavior.

I personally don't even USE FF/RW as I find skipping so much more faster and efficient, so that wouldn't help me.

The thing you have to remember is, yeah, I get it, you want it this way, but you're basing it on YOUR use case. When developing a product, we have to consider EVERY person using it. So sometimes things are a victim of lowest common denominator.

That being said....we are Channels, and boy do we have SETTINGS. I totally understand every single case you guys have mentioned here. So I'll look at what it might look like to give some knobs and buttons to push to get you the experience you want.

We like to give options where we can, and set defaults to what works for everyone. It's worked well for many other things. So I'll look at if it's possible to do this without things getting messy.

I think even a sports specific setting would be cool.

2 Likes

In a single press of the right directional button I know I’m going to get the 30sec or whatever I’ve set it to skip forward. I don’t need the timeline and if I do want to see the timeline and/or show title there is a pause button that will bring that up.

I used the wrong terminology with ff/rw. What I meant was holding the right directional button to skip a large chunk of the show forward. Absolutely the bar should come up in this case so you can see the timeline

An option would be fantastic

This is my point. You're considering just your scenario. You're ignoring the people that use seeking to get further into the timeline. All scenarios/users/cases have to be considered when making something work a single way when building product. These considerations are what have made Channels the thing a lot of you love.

I knew what you meant, and again, this is my point. You use FF for moving further through the timeline, I don't. So if we just stopped showing the timeline while seeking, it would feel broken for how I (and many other people) use it.

Just an FYI, you can show the timeline by tapping the touch surface of the Apple TV remote or pressing UP on other remotes, so you can show it without pausing.

1 Like

OK, the latest TestFlight release for tvOS/iOS now have settings for when the timeline shows during seeking. You can find them in the same place you can adjust Seek duration.

You have the option to set this for Movies, Sports, or everything else, just like Seek Durations.

4 Likes