How do you use PIP?

How do you use PIP mode?

Using a keyboard or remote, send the "P" key. (But not on the Chromecast with Google TV (CCGTV), as the windowing code does not seem to be present in the system, even though apps can set the preference to allow themselves to be windowed.)

How about using a tivo remote with ts4k?

Then you need to remap a button to send a "P", as there is no "P" key on that remote.

How?

Can button mapper be used to enable the “p”

Yes

Can someone explain why using "P" is the only way to implement picture in picture? Why isn't it just a setting? When you are watching TV and revert back to the guide, the picture should automatically drop to the corner so you can still watch while sufficing. This is how YTTV works and others.

I'm in a similar boat. I don't have a keyboard, just the Shield remote, and I can't take advantage of this feature.

4 Likes

May I ask why there isn't a option in settings to choose Picture In Guide instead of having to push P? Just seems like a great feature that isn't readily an option for ShieldTV or FireTV users.

4 Likes

What you’re describing are two completely different things. PIP is provided by the system for basically free. There’s nothing we really have to implement.

I think the questions are more related to shortcuts within channels.

Are we able to have a function, perhaps simliar to Apple TV where you can click on something to activate it. Instead of relying on specific buttons on the remote. Not everyone has the same remote.

To include, I think if possible the drop down menu should include recent channels. Maybe the last 3? Somebody else recommended this, and I think it's a great idea! This would be something that can be brought over on both Android and Apple devices.

1 Like
3 Likes

My confusion on the feature being implemented. Is Picture in Guide something currently available or something being considered?

In the latest beta there is now an optional setting:

Setting > Playback > Picture in Picture > Automatic Picture in Picture

1 Like

I’m not seeing that option on my TiVo stream 4K channels beta app. It is showing me with version 102.3.140

This is only Apple TV.

Guess I’m just confused since this is a android tv topic about PIP and Tmm1 said in the newest beta there is an option for automatic PIP. So he is referring to Apple TV beta?

1 Like

We're having an issue with android uploads so the beta has been delayed. I'm working on it.

Okay the new beta is up now.

2 Likes

Awesome! This is very slick.