How do you use PIP?

Impossible to go back to those once you use the Android app on a tablet or smartphone to set up Activities.

Not sure if this should go here or the beta forum, but I can see that PIP is now automatically triggered when going "back" to the guide from live tv or various other places. Would it be possible to add the same effect whenever using a Tivo Stream 4K or Flirc's "guide" button, direct to guide?

1 Like

The automatic PIP in the Android beta is really great. I love that we can have it for live channel viewing but not for recordings.

I was playing with the feature last night without saying a word and my wife said "I really like that new feature where you can browse the full guide while watching live TV."

2 Likes

It's not even in beta anymore. That's an official feature now. It's to bad that Google botched PiP for the new chromecast though. I'm jealous of my grandparents tivo 4k stream I set up for them.

1 Like

Oh sweet. I haven't seen it on my Fire TV yet. I'll try to manually update it later. I see it on my Android TV and just enabled it. Thanks!

I knew I should have bought the TiVo stream haha. Just bought 4 google TVs

I've regretted my chromecast as well. I got it for the content aggregation, but the continue watching and watchlist rows were constantly moving & below a billion ads, plus they made apps a pita to get to with their limited favorites. I simply nuked it and installed a custom launcher.

That's exactly what I did, just in case anyone was wondering how to install a custom launcher here's a link to a blogpost I did. .

Custom Launcher for Google Chromecast with Google TV | NicksHelp.Info

Just getting up to speed here, I love the PIP for keeping the channel going when looking at the guide... I've long wanted this.

I see how you double click on a selection to pick it and view it full screen, however, I don't see any easy way to get back to full screen if I just want to return to the program I was watching in full screen. I'm seeing some comments about programming a remote to send a P to toggle PIP, but I use the newest native Nvidia Shield remote and I simply don't want add-on remotes or complex button mappers that are invariably troublesome in other ways.

Ideally, if I back all the way out to the left hand side menu, there should be some way to hit something that just puts you back into full screen. Heck, even an option called "full screen" on the menu that I could select would suffice, but I'm thinking something slightly more elegant could be dreamt up.

Thoughts?

1 Like