How does DVR decide which channel to use when creating a pass

It chooses HD channels first, based on the source priority, which you can set the order of. And finally based on favorite channels.

Does Channels DVR consider ATSC 3.0 to be HD ?

Also If there are 2 Channels that meet the same criteria will it choose the higher numbered channel ?

Exactly -- I want to specify the preference in a global setting, not have DVR decide for me and/or make multiple recordings based on its selection criteria and I want to do so without having to manually edit the pass.

This does not answer every question. Nothing about higher or lower channels or if ATSC 3.0 is determined to be HD.

Channels Support - Subscription FAQ (getchannels.com)

If I remember correctly (big if) the station id is used to understand if the channel is SD or HD. ATSC 3.0 channels have the same station id as their SD/HD equivalent.

It's been discussed for a long time.
I'm not sure if ATSC 3.0 HEVC trumps regular HD.
I'm not sure if HD vs SD is considered for Favorite channels.
This is what I have experienced Is Channels DVR smart enough to pick the tuner that picks up the strongest signal? - #4 by chDVRuser

Never get a consistent answer or write app depends on who answers and what day of the week it is.

I Handle it differently I disabled my OTA equivalent channels in my Primes ... Have all my OTA Tuner Channels favored ... Favor all other Prime tuner Channels... and the rest is Russian roulette.

Actually, I'm not so sure. There are seven ATSC streams on a single lighthouse transmitter, as shown here (from rabbitears.info).

As you can see, the callsigns are different and the program streams may not have the same internal identifiers as the guests' ATSC 1.0 signals.

1 Like

And I thought it came from the channel lineup of the HDHR tuner (that tunes each channel during a channels scan to determine SD, HD, HEVC, DRM, etc).

Anyone with an ATSC 3.0 tuner see HEVC as a tag on the channel lineup?
My HDHR Prime only shows tags AVC, HD and DRM
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 12-13-38 HDHomeRun Lineup

http://hdhr_ip_address/lineup.html

So unless the devs can enlighten us, the ATSC 3.0 channels have higher priority because they're a higher channel number, not because HEVC trump HD in priority (HEVC is a codec like AVC). Maybe when UHD-4k is common we'll see a UHD or 4K tag.

I’m new to Channels and I was just wishing earlier that I could tell it which channel to record passes on. That ability should be added.

Channel numbers can be added by editing a pass on the dvr web UI

But one at a time...not a solution to tell the DVR "always record this channel in preference to the others."

1 Like

You can always favor that Channel.

Correct, favoriting a channel on the DVR will make it preferred as a recording source when multiple options are available.

Oh that’s great. I didn’t know it was on the web interface. Awesome! Are there any plans to add that in the client apps?

It is already in the Clients to favor Channels look under settings manage sources. Then you can sync to server if you want.

Yeah I saw where you can prioritize the sources but that didn’t work for what I’m talking about. The ability to tie it to a specific channel is awesome and as I just learned is possible in the web interface but not the client.

Correct but the Server controls allocating the Channels/tuners so just favoring them in the web interface will do. You cannot specify a channel to record on in the Client.