I thought I knew what I was doing

But maybe I didn't.

I have the server software set up on a mini PC, an Intel NUC, on my local network. I had been using it for local OTA channels only, but discovered that TV Everywhere now allows me to add YouTubeTV channels. I did that, and it is working swimmingly when accessed from my Apple TV.

I had the server software installed on several other machines: a couple of NUCs, a Mac Mini, and an Macbook Pro. I don't care about preserving settings on those machines, but I would like them all to be clients to the one NUC that I want to use as a server. What is the best way to get that working? Uninstall the server software from each of the machines other than the NUC that I want to be the sole server installation?

Thanks in advance.

Channels is designed to have a single server and multiple clients. Servers don’t talk to each other.

Is there a reason you want multiple servers like this?

1 Like

You can setup a 2nd server with M3U and Guide data from the main server that way they share resources. By only adding one Custom Source.

http://yourmainserverip:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u?format=ts
http://yourmainserverip:8089/devices/ANY/guide/xmltv?duration=1209600

No. I only need one server, but I would like to access the server from other other computers.

You just need to use the ip address of the computer and use port 8089

http://IPADDRESS:8089

The web admin is accessible from any computer on your home network.

I’d highly suggest uninstalling the other servers.

1 Like

If your Mac Mini and/or MacBook Pro are relatively new, with Apple Silicon chips (M1, M2, etc.) then check out the Channels app for iPad, it runs amazingly well on macOS too.

Once it’s all logged in and working fine, I use my.channelsdvr.net. I also like just typing “my”, as it autocompletes.

Not everyone can do this as most people’s isp provided routers don’t have hairpin NAT. They will just get a spinning circle when trying to connect when on home LAN.

What I notice when I use that shortcut is the web gui for the server itself which does in fact give access to all functions. What I was hoping for for was the color bars icon "setting up your tv" notice and the purple gui you get on the "client" software on my Apple TV.

By accident, I have discovered that you can install the ipad/iphone app on a Mac computer as well. It may not be fully sanctioned, but appears to work. The server is not found initially, but when you add the IP address of the computer where the server software is installed, it seems to work flawlessly.

Is there any reason not to use that? I don't see a workaround for a windows computer as a client, however, unless you purchase the Android beta client software from the Windows store.

There is no Channels app for desktop operating systems. You are not missing anything.

The iPad app works on Apple Silicon based Macs, and it works as well as Apple supports it, as it’s literally just the app designed for an iPad, not a desktop computer. Since it works, we allow it to be downloaded this way from the App Store.

1 Like

@mobilelawyer

While it is true, there is no normal Channels DVR Client software to use your PC as a Client device....
There are ways to do it.

1. WSL Android app

If you have a more modern PC, with Win 10 or Win 11.
You can install Windows Subsystem for Linux that allows you to run Android apps on your PC.
There are instructions on how to install this online. Install Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA) in Windows 11 Tutorial | Windows 11 Forum
There is a Win Store app to install.
Once installed and setup, often it is easier to just install a app that has a GUI to install Android APK files. like this one Microsoft Apps
After that, u can just get the Android APK file for Channels DVR, (i used the Carbon one here, but u can find the regular one here
Once installed, you will see the Mobile version of Channels DVR (Not Android TV version).
It works ok, will need to change in Advanced settings in the app, the Video Decoder to Hybrid.

1. Emby/Jellyfin/Plex

Export your Channels DVR channels playlist to .m3u (here)
Import that as a Tuner source to your already setup Emby/Jellyfin/Plex server.
These home media solutions have PC desktop client software's.

Isn't that this?

FWIW I'm pretty sure it's free, the paid version is for those who don't have Channels DVR and just want live TV from an HD HomeRun.

That being said, he has M1 Macs too and is using the Channels app for iPad, mentioned above. Different platforms, same concept.