Initial iOS Beta Feedback

Channel Flipping (Scrolling Favorites Only):

When playing a channel, tap screen

At the bottom area (thumbnail & description) scroll up, to page through Favorite Channels. Can scroll down within, to return to beginning.

Is there a way for the guide data to remain in the app as it clears each time you exit the app?
I am able to receive 7 days of guide data in NZ and itā€™s useful to see whatā€™s coming up. It would be useful that it populates new and clears old data but retains current data.

Issue - Current and next show information not updating with the screen controls. When watching a show I tap the screen to bring up the control screen (Rewind, Pause, Fast Forward etc.). On the control screen the current show and next show are not being updated. Current show is previous and next show stuck at ā€˜in 6 minutesā€™. If I go back to the grid and reselect the show the current and next shows are updated. I have been able to recreate this consistently.

Issue with phone call when video buffer fills - On iphone6 I took a phone call while watching a show. I answered the call and the show went to the background as espected. If you end call before video buffer fills you return to show and everything is good. However, if the buffer fills while you are on the call the video restarts in the background during the call. Video isnā€™t displayed but you hear the audio along with the phone call.

Also, video buffer seems to buffer around 10 minutes. I have over 21.5 G free on my phone so Iā€™d like to be able to buffer more video. Could buffer be increased or add a video player setting to control the amount of storage available for buffer?

Thanks.

Plus one on the volume option. Plexā€™s player lays things out nicely in terms of video playback control

Another option is something like infuse. Gestures for audio and brightness on each side of the screen.

A lil disappointing right now thereā€™s no PIP picture in picture

I could be watching the news on the Dallas shooting & reading safari at the same time on the iPad

Is pip coming ? Or is impossible with this kind of app

I have no other complaints, the app works great

PIP would be pretty stellar on the iPad.

PIP is certainly needed.

Working well on iOS 10

Unfortunately, PIP is not able to be supported. PIP requires that you use Appleā€™s built in system video player. Channels uses itā€™s own custom video player because it has to render MPEG2. MPEG2 is not supported by the build in system video player.

Iā€™m as disappointed at you. But to be fair, rendering 18mbit MPEG2 is so heavy on the CPU, that doing it at the same time as using your iPad for other things probably wouldnā€™t be that great. iOS uses the GPU to render h.264 so the CPU is never really touched.

1 Like

Regarding some things mentioned in this thread:

• Volume slider was added to the video controls
  • CC and Audio Language buttons are much easier to tap now
1 Like

The AirPlay button was not included in the volume slider because Channels only works over AirPlay if you use Mirroring. Mirroring isnā€™t an option in the AirPlay picker when presented in app. Itā€™s only available in Control Center.

CC etc. are easier, CC is highlighted but no CC (however, audio description of video is present). No 2nd language, with audio in English & Spanish, just English. Not really a user of these options, so I may be mis-interpreting.

Volume Slider and media buttons (7/30 descriptions) are welcome additions.

? What is scrollbar flashes?

Understand AirPlay limitations. Too bad:cry:

Thanks for the new beta. Love seeing the progress.

Here in Europe MPEG2 is mostly used for SD-broadcasts and the bitrate is about 4 mbps. I understand, that in North America itā€™s still used for HD-broadcasts, but couldnā€™t PIP be optional, since some users could use it? :slight_smile:

The limitation is in the video player not the Bitrate or CPU.

So basically when the transition happens to h264/h265 in 3+ years weā€™ll have a chance!

But canā€™t the Appleā€™s video player be used for MPEG2 or doesnā€™t it play it at all? If the bitrate is low, shouldnā€™t the CPU then handle it thus allowing PIP?

Appleā€™s video player does not decode/play MPEG2.

This is moot, as the only video player that works inside a PIP window, is Appleā€™s system video player.

PIP isnā€™t something you can just place things into and let it go. Itā€™s less of a feature of iOS and more of a feature of the built in video player. To implement it, you really donā€™t need to do anything at all. You just have to use Appleā€™s built in video player and set a flag that you support it, and it just works. The system handles everything for you.

Ok got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Absolutely love the latest. Very easy to read the guide, even in dim light.

CC works, however, personally I would rather see a longer dialogue line, but I donā€™t use. This and font is up to those who need this feature.

Will test buffer later and readability in daylight tomorrow.

Great improvements!