Initial iOS Beta Feedback

I love the new mobile app, but I have a couple small suggestions.

1. When the app is in split view (landscape), there is a lot of unused space above and below the player since it is centered vertically. Would it be possible to add an option to have the window permanently shifted to the top with a smaller program grid view on the bottom? Perhaps include tabs that provide info about the show being watched, actors, etc.

2. This is more of a far out idea, but one of the things I love about the Twitch.tv app is the ability to interact with others in chat rooms. I think it would be cool to have channel specific chat rooms where everyone can chat about the content being watched. This could be huge for sports and movie watching.

Not sure about the colour purple. Itā€™s a little divisive. Maybe black would be better, coloured like the AppleWatch app with the purple highlight

I agree, Iā€™m not sure about purple.

VERY happy to have closed captions now working at all times on all channels though. This is a big deal for me - both because Iā€™m deaf and because, consequentially, I often watch with the audio completely off (rather than going to go get my Bluetooth streaming device for my hearing aids). Captions now are working very well for me, and Iā€™m sure this is going to increase my usage of the app. Thanks to the team for this; itā€™s very much appreciated.

Re the font - I havenā€™t checked, but is it using the iOS system subtitle font? Ideally it would so that thereā€™s no need for a separate choice within the app.

The color contrasts are not as clear in daylight vs dim nightlight.

It seems everyone is trying to use the new methodology of thumbnails to choose channels, however, many of us still use channel names and especially numbers.

Could you at least make the channel numbers much more prominent in ā€œOn Nowā€ and ā€œGuideā€ for us ā€œgently aged folksā€ and our local guests.

This should be fixed in the latest beta. Let us know if it works as we donā€™t have access to DVB streams in the US.

Hiya. Seems to work and has retained guide data for up to 7 days. If I keep the app running in the background when multitasking the data remains but if I double click home button to close the app the data disappears. Great to have the guide data retained otherwise when using the app.

Just wondering if it is possible to add additional 30 min and 1 hour time markers as I note the time only shows for 4 hours in advance.

See attached image of the guide data as an example.

P.s. The volume slider has disappeared in the new update. I'm using an iPhone 6

It should work across app exit. Does the app launch with no guide data at all?

Yeah if I exit the app by double clicking the home button and swiping up it will launch with no guide data. I have too allow it to refresh the dvb streams and repopulate. However, if I exit and leave it as an app running in the background it retains the data.

Is there a way to make it so the volume buttons on the iOS device doesnā€™t bring up the OSD but just turns the volume up and down? Right now if I change the volume then I canā€™t really see anything on the screen of my iPhone.

The behavior should be the same as on the native player. We made some tweaks in this area on the latest build. Does the OSD show in both portrait and landscape?

Yeah, it shows in both but a little different between the two. This is on the new beta too.

Landscape: Channels OSD pops up when I hit volume up or volume down.
Portrait: Channels OSD pops up AND the default Apple Volume OSD comes up.

Both ways just make changing the volume a little meh since I have to touch the screen to make the Channels OSD go away or just wait for the Apple Volume OSD to go away.

Is this still happening?

This should be fixed now, please confirm.

This should also be fixed, and youā€™ll see the day of the week for future guide items.

Perfect, I can confirm that the time markers are there for ever 30min and 1hr but can see any reference to day of the week for future guide items. Thanks.

Issue - Current and next show information not updating with the screen controls. When watching a show I tap the screen to bring up the control screen (Rewind, Pause, Fast Forward etc.). On the control screen the current show and next show are not being updated. Current show is previous and next show stuck at ā€˜in 6 minutesā€™. If I go back to the grid and reselect the show the current and next shows are updated. I have been able to recreate this consistently.

Is this still happening?

This appears to be completely resolved with the 7/14 beta. Thanks.

Can or cannot?

Is the guide data saved across app exit now?

Latest reverted Support to ā€œRate on App Storeā€, rather than ā€œSubmit Beta Feedbackā€

Sorry canā€™t see any reference to day of the week and yes guide data is now saved across app exit. Thanks!

Iā€™m not sure when the UK DVB subtitles (closed captions) broke, but I tried them in the latest builds after noticing mention of a problem with the CCs being fixed in 7.12.38, and I canā€™t get any to work at all.

This is affecting both SD and HD UK channels - Iā€™ve tried a selection of both that I know have CCs. The same channels have working CCs in the tvOS version?

1 Like

Nice find. Looks like our fix for ATSC captions broke the DVB side. Will be resolved in the next beta build.

Hi. Just thought I would let you know that day of the reference and time markers are now showing up. However, this appears to only populate for 4 days in advance and not the full 7days of guide data.

Otherwise itā€™s great having the time and day of week.