Intermittent quick pause

Hulu and Prime are not live, it is much easier for them to stream uninterrupted. That being said I stream from my server (at original quality) over 100 miles away with no issues, so there is definitely a network issue on your end.

It is not a network issue. This happens while watching on live channels only and within my network.

It's a QNAP 431+.

How have you ruled that out?

Channels is the only app with the problem.

I’d say try to change from “original” quality to 4mb 720p but with such a low end qnap I’m not sure how well it would do.

That's not the issue, it only happens while watching live content. Everything recorded in the DVR is fine. The same issue happens on my Android TV and doesn't happen on my Apple TV.

So you can run the official HDHomeRun app on the same TV and watch live channels with no issues? Is that correct?

Yes that is correct.

Using something like Signal GH (on a tablet or phone) or the HDHomeRun Config utility on a computer, examine the performance of the station(s) with which you're experiencing this problem.

I have observed that SD's HDHR client apps deal with reception performance issues differently. SD's apps will pixelate. Channels' apps will pause. The worse the reception performance, the more SD's apps pixelate and the more Channels' apps pause.

If you're seeing less than about 60% in Signal Strength or less than around 70% in either Signal Quality or Symbol Quality, there would be your problems, I expect.

Note: Occasionally broadcasters induce "issues" in their data streams that confound HDHR tuners such that you can have 100% Signal Strength and Quality, and Symbol Quality, but the latter two will regularly drop. This happened with several stations months ago. They finally had to send people out with spectrum analyzers to get signal samples and send them to their decoder chip maker. Eventually they figured it out and released a firmware update for the decoder chip to compensate for it.

It's not that, like I have already posted, I can record shows and they are perfect. I can watch love TV and bump back like I payed the program and play it buffered through the DVR and everything is fine.

If you change your quality setting to 8Mbps does that solve it?

Maybe it's not, but, unless you've actually examined the signals as I suggested, you cannot know that.

That isn't necessarily meaningful wrt marginal signals. We almost never see glitches in recorded content, but, when an OTA signal is problematical we see the pauses. I fire-up Signal GH on my tablet and, sure enough: Marginal signal.

(I expect we'll see a lot of that in the coming month or three, with several stations in Phase 8 of the 2nd Great Repack.

Yes, because the buffering leaves time for the software to iron-out the wonky data while the buffered content is playing. This is normal.

My NAS is not strong enough to trans-code.

I know you are really trying to pin it on my network or my signal but its not. FireTV and AndroidTV apps act the same while AppleTV does not have the problem. Other apps using my HDHR tuners do not have the problem or do any of my TV tuners.

We’re trying to help, but without further information it’s hard to. I looked through the thread and I didn’t see anywhere where you submitted client diagnostics. Have you done that after the issue occurs? If so, the Devs should be able to find it and maybe get a better idea of where the issue is occurring.

I know and I have provided plenty of info in the Android TV thread. I use Android TV more but did provide some input on this topic because I see the same issue with this device.

I wasn't trying to "pin" it on anything. I'm was trying to help you solve your problem.

First I've seen you mention Apple TV in this thread. So how was I to know that?

Ok, well, I got nothing else, so I'm out. Good luck.

We believe there is an issue with the audio driver on this android system and aren't sure what the best path is to attack it.

We're having discussions internally but it's not a strait forward thing to solve at the moment.

1 Like

Thank you for that info! You are the first to offer this in either ecosystem section of the forums. Is your player different than in the HdHomerun app? Not that they aren't without issue as well but I moved from HdHomerun to channels for 2 purposes..... Their 1080i deinterlacing was having studdering issues that they weren't fixing and the guide function. I came over and now I'm experiencing different problems with Android.