Intermittent video stuttering

@tmm1 I just submitted some diagnostics from the ATV client

Can you describe what this looks like in more detail?

Getting more and more problematic. Even progressive scan sources start to stutter. The best description I can give for the look is like watching a 24fps film that is not doing a proper pull down. The video looks like it’s missing frames and playing back at a lower refresh rate instead of 60hz

I had some frame dropping issues and found that rebooting the Apple TV solved the issue. Have you already tried that?

@tmm1 Sorry for the late reply. it was on one show and it would start to stutter for a few seconds looking like what @mtnbkr60 was talking about. then it would smooth out for a while, then back to stutter. I'll try another program and see if I can replicate this.

I am also having this problem on my Sony with Android TV. At first I thought it was the server so I tried different servers and same issue. I then discovered the display tool option and found that when the stutter occurs it is dropping output frames. Happens every few minutes... very annoying. Also happens on my M1 Macbook Air using Channels app with less frames being dropped. However watching the same channel at the same time on the Macbook Air using the web browser is very smooth.

Dropped Frames:
Sony Android TV : 0-60
Macbook air apple app: 0-5
Macbook air web browser: 0

Any suggestions?

Well, I am somewhat disappointed with this stuttering issue. I have tried several servers, many different clients and different tuners and still same problem. I have gone back to Plex on the same server, client hardware and same tuner. Plex has no issues at all. This must be a software issue. I really like the Channels UI vs the one in Plex but will have to resort back to Plex.

Can you enable stats while the stuttering happens to see how full the buffer is? It will also allow you to see if there are dropped frames. If this was a widespread issue there would be a lot more chatter about it on the forums so there must be something specific with your setup that is causing the issue.

I’m seeing this too. With the deinterlacer and audio set to experimental and video set to standard, it works fine. Once I turn on experimental 4K video, it seems to start stuttering off and on.

I just leave video set to standard and not 4K and it seems to work fine that way. Try it and see if you have the same results. It’s not exactly a fix, but at least it helps narrow down what the exact issue is.

1 Like

Please refer to my previous post on the stats. I am dropping frames.

Sorry I missed that. I thought we were talking about an Apple TV client. What model of TV are you running? The hardware may be struggling to keep up. Have you tried adjusting the video driver or deinterlacer in the client settings, or decoder to see if it changes.

I am using a Sony XBR85X81CH with Android 10. I do not see options for video driver or deinterlacing on the Android version.
I am also dropping frames on my Macbook Air using the client software. Using the web browser on the same Macbook Air works fine.

They should be in the app settings, under playback, advanced, I believe.

There are only 4 options under Playback Advanced:

1. Stretch Video to Fit = Off
  2. Surround Sound = On
  3. Video Decoder = Hardware (tried Software and Hybrid same problem)
  4. Tuner Sharing = Off (When turning this on there is a consistent playback error)

What error appears? This may indicate connectivity problems to the DVR server.

When Tuner Sharing = On I cannot watch live tv at all. I get a " ! Playback Failed" error. I am assuming this is a software bug. Switching this back to Off works but the original stuttering problem is there.

Tuner sharing is pretty solid for pretty much everybody as far as I know. I’ve had it on for years without issues. If it won’t play at all there must be something odd going on with your network. Any errors in the DVR web ui when you try to watch live tv with tuner sharing enabled?

I do not see the tuner sharing option in the web UI however I can turn tuner sharing on my iPhone and it works fine. This is a problem with the application on the Sony TV and Android 10.
Just ran my iPhone and TV simultaneously on the same channel and the stuttering happens on the TV but not on the iPhone. Using same network and servers.
This is where I am having the problems:
SONY XBR-85X90CH
Channels v3.5.2
Sony BRAVIA VH1
AndroidTV 10 API/29

Tuner Sharing is a client setting, not a DVR setting. By default Channels clients get their live streams directly from OTA tuners, completely bypassing the DVR. With Tuner Sharing enabled, the DVR acts as a delegate and handles the OTA streams.

(Tuner sharing as a feature is only related to OTA/cable streams from HDHomeRun tuners. All other types of streams, including remote streams, all always routed through the DVR.)

Please submit diagnostics from the app after the playback error is shown.