International DVR

So, just received your notification regarding DVR for use in AU. I am using HDHR DVR subscription, so I have just subscribed to Channels DVR now that there is a way to access guide service.
Will see how it goes.
Up to now I have been using Plex DVR with Ice XMLTV service.

I downloaded the 2020 pre-release version of Channels DVR and successfully hooked it up to the Silicon Dust HDHR XMLTV guide and it worked perfectly ! I scheduled and recorded programs from the guide, and watched replay on the apple TV ChannelsTV client. I was especially happy to see I can watch a program from the start while it is still recording (something I do daily). This is something both Plex and Emby struggle to do. I have only managed to do it using Emby on the FireTV and even then it was not robust and playback would fail part way through.
Thanks for listening to your customers and getting this working in Australia. I'd rather not have to pay $35USD p.a. for the guide data from Silicon Dust, but that is still a better outcome than Plex or Emby and IceTV XMLTV Guide data (which is excellent by the way). Thanks !

4 Likes

I agree, it’s so much better than plex. But instead of paying silicon dust $35US, I use the ICETV XMLTV EPG data. Works like a charm.

Are you able to share the settings you input to use the IceTV XMLTV guide ?

In the ICETV website go to settings and get the URL for the XMLTV file. Then in the Channels DVR setup, from memory there was a choice to either enter silicon dust details or a custom xmltv file. Choose that and enter the URL you got from IceTV.

This was the thread that was emailed to me to set it up

Thanks, I guess there is very little difference cost wise. IceTV is $3.99 AUD per month, so $48 AUD p.a. and Silicon Dust is $35USD or $50AUD a year. How does the art look using the ICEtv EPG ? The HDHR guide looks very good in the channels app.

Not brilliant to be honest!!! I’m might end up checking out silicon dust then. Can you use the silicon dust XMLTV file with plex?

Glad this is working out for you guys! :heart:

If you're comparing the two, you'd do better with SiliconDust's XMLTV feed, as it has art that matches our UI a lot better, and it's better art I think.

it is not the right way to do - demand is higher when the service is available not vice versa. Don't change Channels into Reddit when lilterally news from outside USA are prohibited because "most our readers are in USA".

I wish I had more people than myself to develop competing DVR product that would be this time NOT US CENTRIC.

Just started using the dvr with my Plex/IceTV XMLTV feed. Really impressed with the app and access away from home.

Would be great if channels could fully use the rectangular images but it’s not a big deal.

Much better than plex, really snappy to watch live and playing catch up on a live recorded show works flawlessly unlike plex.

Well done, I am sending my Foxtel box back now I can reliably record live tv.

1 Like

Gracenote have added support for Australia

4 Likes

Interesting, how did you find out? We never heard anything from Gracenote directly..

Can you try the latest pre-release and see how good the guide data is?

Got an email.

I am assuming this is the right option

Also slightly off topic, if I have two separate tuners, how do I make sure one is the backup of the other and lineups are not duplicated in the guide

The correct option would be the freeview one for your area. I am not sure what the generic option at the end does.

If you have multiple tuners you would set each one to the same guide source.

Thanks. I had selected the generic option after posting so I'll leave it for a little while before switching over to try the Freeview. Some (second tier) channels missing but the guide data and logos are better than the community xml that I was using before.

I hope Gracenote add support for Poland when we switch to DVBT2

1 Like

@tmm1 - can you see if you can add New Zealand as a grace note provider in the drop down options?

They don't have NZ yet.

Strange, I seem to have lost Australia as a guide provider. Its not visible as an option in the guide provider dropdown menu. As a result all my scheduled recordings have disappeared