International DVR

How would a DVR work if it doesn’t have guide data to go off of?

The Channels app shows me a guide – I presume it’s just DVB data. Is that not enough to get some kind of recording rules into play? Recordings could be defined in advance by start/stop/channel or by program name etc.

I assume the dvr engine needs a guide provider for scheduling, anything else would likely require many changes to the code.

But Plex seems to have the ability to have basic recording controls through a standard EPG. If a customer wants advanced functionality, couldn’t they be offered to pay for ICETV?

IceTV + Channels DVR, as separate subscriptions, is pushing into “not worth it” territory. If they could be bundled together for a lower price, that’d be seriously interesting.

I have used IceTV with EyeTV on the Mac to do better scheduled recordings but it’s not strictly necessary. A one-off payment for Channels DVR and IceTV compatibility could be acceptable depending on the DVR price.

And yes, it would require changes to Channels DVR to work solely from DVB program guide data… but would open up more countries as potential customers.

From another post your retirement for a 4:3 image is not consistent with what other users of the IceTV XMLTV data however a temporary solution would be to use the IceTV XMLTV data but just not display the images. Images are hardly a major feature for setting up what shows to record.

requirement not retirement :slight_smile:

So, deadline of Q2 2018 means that DVR in AUS is imminent. Yes/No?

We’ve gotten no updates from our guide provider. When we hear something, you will be the first to know.

Looks to me like Plex has won the race. I will be getting a subscription and start testing. To be honest I had hoped you guys would get there first. I will let you know how my Australian testing goes.

https://www.plex.tv/blog/grid-who/

2 Likes

OK, you have lost me, I have now switched to Plex DVR and can recommend it to Australian users. I would like to switch back to Channels DVR if it ever becomes available to Australia but at this stage it looks a bridge too far.

Another year and another disappointment with Channels DVR not being available in Australia.

I will continue to use Plex DVR to fill the void, which I must say is getting better and better with each update and continual improvements to match Channels DVR.

1 Like

Yes it's rather disappointing to have not heard anything for such a long time. I'm using Plex DVR too, but I find it a little clunky compared with what I imagine Channels DVR would be.

At this point it feels like Australia has been forgotten, or at the very least put at the bottom of the priorities list.

Or, their guide provider doesn’t yet have guide data.

Perhaps they should look at other guide providers then?

Reading this thread, it seems they have.

Still patiently waiting. Seems we will never have support for Australia DVR

I am curious to know how long does it take to tune live tv for users in Australia. I could have tried a monthly subscription but no point of paying if it doesn't have a dvr and I subscribe to emby so I use that but not happy with the lack of progress in the dvr department so looking at alternatives. Thanks

I was sick of waiting for Channels DVR to become available in Australia. Honestly, I believe they have no intention to support here. So, I switched to Plex DVR, it works a treat and thoroughly recommend.

I am on Plex DVR. Still and would definitely give Channels a go if they supported Australia.

jrudd what is your setup? (server client). I am running Win10 server and have appleTV3 and nvidia shield as clients connected to my TV screen.

Basically I don't go more than a day without having to re-boot the server so that the clients work properly. I have rebuilt the server twice and get the same flakey results.