Introducing PrismCast: Browser-based Live TV Capture for Channels DVR and Plex

You're not clicking the Done button, are you?
What does Prismcast log show.

You are limited due to display adapter and streaming Mbps selected. You should stream at 20 Mbps for 1080P. That said, I stream at 720P. I run headless

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I was able to get 1080p with the latest version of PrismCast, but it had the letterboxing due to the new issue associated with Chrome 154.

Are you still using the Virtual Display Driver you mentioned in an earlier post? If so, is that only useful in a headless setup like yours?

Running a virtual Display Driver.

2 Likes

[2026/10/04 05:31:46.546 PM] [ERROR] [cnn-2q69hd] Stream setup failed for https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnn: Waiting for selector video failed.

[2026/10/04 05:31:46.554 PM] [cnn-2q69hd] Stream ended after 12s (setup failed).

[2026/10/04 05:31:46.555 PM] GET /hls/cnn/stream.m3u8 from 192.168.1.107 responded 500 in 12161.660 ms.

I was asking about when you clicked the Login button, went to the PrismCast Chrome browser tab and logged into Xfinity, then returned to the browser where you clicked the Login button and clicked Done.

Do that, then try playing another channel from Channels DVR, like C-SPAN or something.

make sure you have cnn.com chosen for the service instead of xfinity.

What's the advantage of that? I have mine set to xfinity, and it works ok.

I have mine set to 720p and use a dummy plug with pass-through. It could probably do 1080p, but I prefer smaller files and don't really see a need for the higher resolution on things I record.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the info. I know 720p is probably good enough, and I don't mind it for things I plan to just watch and dump, but I'm really hoping to achieve 1080p for movies from TCM. :smiling_face:

I have extra DisplayPorts on my GPU, so I could try a dummy plug. What brand did you choose? Are you running headless or do you have a monitor?

I don't have access to TCM, and since I watch 90% from a small window on my PC screen while doing other stuff, so even 720p is mostly lost on me. Anyway, My dummy plug was this:

Amazon says it's no longer available, and offers similar things. I probably paid about $10 for it, but now (of course) similar ones cost somewhat more. I mostly run headless, and access it via Remote Desktop, but the passthrough is connected to a HDMI switch that allows me to switch to it if I want to view it more directly. I have a connected keyboard & mouse for such occasions, but largely run it remotely (it sits right next to my main PC).

1 Like

Using cnn.com as the service allows you to authenticate your TV provider for its live stream whereas using Xfinity uses its web viewer. Both should work.
The operator had this same issue in early August with Xfinity & CNN.

Thanks so much for sharing this. Even if it's no longer available, its description is helpful.

My Channels DVR system isn't headless, but it's in my basement and I do a great deal of tasks from my personal/work PC (main floor) on the same network. I watch most of my movies on a 55" TV. I have watched a few of the movies recorded since my cable company's switch and I confess I can't really see any significant difference between the 720p and the 1080p (deinterlaced and inverse telecined from the original 1080i) I had before. But these are old movies (mostly 1940s and earlier), so I don't know if they're the best examples for comparison. I'm trying to build an archive of great movies, so I want the best quality I can get.

Same letterboxing here on macOS (Homebrew, PrismCast 1.13.0 + Chrome 154.0.8037.98, 1080p). Rather than downgrading, I applied the per-page long-lived CDP session fix KineticMan proposed in GitHub #58 to reaffirmCaptureSurface in dist/browser/cdp.js. After a restart, Fubo, watch.nesn.com and DirecTV Stream all capture full-frame 1920×1080 again. Details in https://github.com/hjdhjd/prismcast/issues/58.

I seem to have "fixed" the problem. I think. My instance of Chrome that was opening up to authenticate was, apparently mine, and not Primcast's. I totally cleared the cache on every instance of Chrome I could find, and then force restarted the Primcast service. A new Chrome window (belonging to Primcast) then opened, and I could authenticate with that by re-pointing at the Xfinity Stream service. This was really squiggly to manage, but now I know how to force-kludge it back if I need to. Maybe.

Starting past couple of weeks, after a day, my Primcast instance stops working due to some kind of hangup with authentication (as far as I can tell). As far as I can tell, I am authenticated in the Primcast instance of the Chrome browser window, and can play any Xfinity content in that window. But then, clicking on any of my channels in the Channels app on Apple TV that I get via Xfinity Stream throws timeout errors. I can fix this by quitting and restarting the prismcast service and reauthenticating but this is not good. Am I missing something to keep my log-in to Xfinity Stream alive ?