iOS v1.0 Beta

I have an iPad Air 2 and like to test.

Have two Iphone 6s Plus, Ipad Pro 12.9 would welcome a shot at beta testing

iPad Pro 12.9" here too ready for testing if beta opens up. Did beta testing for Channels early on. Mobile app product manager with a ton of beta/TestFlight experience.

I’m interested in participating in a beta program. Long term IT professional with numerous iOS devices in the family (iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, iPad Air 2). Long time since I’ve written significant code but I still get involved in testing and debugging.

Can you share more information and possibly some screenshots of the app?

1 Like

Wow! Amazing! I am waiting for an app like channels on iOS. I am a sure buyer.

If you want help beta testing, i have an iPhone 6s Plus and an iPad Pro 9,7 to test. I am a getchannels beta tester and help you with spanish guide in the past.

Channels is one of my favourites apps on TvOS, i was waiting for an iOS app.

Please let me know if you need some help!

To the people on the iOS beta , are you running the upcoming server too?
Unless you have AC wifi to run the raw 1080p feed , it needs to be transcoded for mobile for better performance I thought ?

As far as I know they have not started the DVR Server Beta.

Regarding AC WiFi. I think the same rules that apply to the Apple TV will apply to iOS Devices when running on WiFi. Speed and a good connection is always important. I do have AC WiFi and works fine. But of course it depends on distance and interference.

I’m quite sure InstaTV pro is another brain child of theirs. Almost identical to Channels in so many ways. The unfortunate thing is the video works fine on InstaTV but the audio won’t work if you use a Connect due to lack of audio transcoding :frowning:
Only connects are available in the UK.

Ready to be a beta tester… iPhone 5s, 6 and iPad mini 2!
Cheers and keep up the great job!
Arsen-

Typical HD from OTA is I believe 19Mb/s roughly. More than enough for even 802.11G (max 56Mb/s). Also, no OTA (And Im pretty certain cable as well) signal is 1080p. The max out at either 720p or 1080i (which I believe is technically half the bandwidth of 1080p?) This is because 1080p requires more bandwidth than the OTA standards allow.

So no, you dont need to transcode and you dont need AC

The Max speed for 802.11G is 54Mbps, however wifi is not full duplex so the actual max throughput theoretically is 22mbits. Because of overhead, interference, and other factors it is very unlikely you will be able to stream a 19Mbps video on 802.11G.

I will gladly defer to someone who is more of an expert than I am but I dont think thats entirely accurate. A better way to describe it would be a simulated full duplex similar to DSL (Also including ATT Uverse). If you are not doing a ton of uploading (which most consumers are not) you could actually get the full 56. This is because its either always sending or always receiving at full blast. Once someone starts to upload while you start to download the router though would have a hard time switching from sending to receiving to sending fast enough to get the max throughput available.

I know fir sure this how it works on classic and modern DSL but I will definitely admit that its possible i missed something within wifi.

What you missed is the web search for real world throughput on 802.11g. Give it a try.

Does/will the iPhone/iPad app support AirPlay ?

Devs. Is there any chance to give a little sneak peak screenshot on what the app looks like? :slight_smile:

They’ve gone very quiet recently. Either all at WWDC2016 drinking themselves silly, or I sense something is coming and they’re working their socks off. Hope it’s the latter.

1 Like

No screenshots to share yet. We are working on functionality first, so the final visual design of the app is still pending.

Please add a volume slider , I don’t use the official YouTube app because of this

I am also willing to beta test. I have an iPhone 6, iPad Air 2. I am already in the beta group for the ATV4 version.