iPad sidebar

I just installed 6.0, and it was a bit of a shock. IMO, moving the navigation from the bottom to a sidebar is inconvenient and requires double the number of taps to get where I want to go.

Is there some way to either a) bring back the bottom bar, or b) pin the sidebar open? I looked around in the settings but didn’t see anything that looked like this.

I’ve been using Channels for literally 7 years (!), and this is the first time there’s been a design change I strongly dislike, so I guess I’m doing ok… :slight_smile: but I’m hoping you might be able to come up with some sort of compromise to improve usability.

Thanks!

No, there’s no way to bring back the bottom tab bar. This change was made for multiple reasons including:

1. iPad and iPhone could not participate in customized navigation
  2. Without customized navigation, these devices could not participate in Personal Sections
  3. The bottom tab bar is gone in iPadOS 18 anyways, as Apple has moved it to a top tab bar,

Software changes over time. We try to not make a lot of changes, because we feel that stability in how software works is important, especially for things like watching movies and tv, especially in the case of other family members using it.

But despite that, software does change over time. We feel that the reasons for this change outweigh the alternative, hence why we changed it.

Ok, I’m certainly not saying you should never change things! Perhaps it would be more useful if I detailed how I use Channels, and why it’s less convenient now, and you can take that as feedback to consider when you’re thinking about future changes.

In the client apps (Apple TV, iPad, iPhone), I almost exclusively do two things:

1. Look at the guide at my Favorite channels (all OTA) to see what’s on tonight, sometimes watch something live, and possibly record something. I say “possibly” there, as I almost always set up recordings from the web interface rather than the clients, but I do like to look at the guide.

2. From the Home Screen, watch my recordings.

Occasionally I go to the settings or the scheduled recordings or whatnot, but that’s like 1% of my usage; 99% is the two items I mentioned.

My frustration with the new layout is to switch between the Guide, and the Home Screen where my recordings are, now takes two taps instead of one. (first world problem i realize - haha!).

For the sake of discussion, here are some potential ideas that come to mind, keeping in mind the constraints you mentioned:

A) Perhaps have a way to have the left slide-out panel be a “pane” that can stay open on iPad. Sort of like the side bar in the Mail app - you can keep it open all the time if you want, or hide it and bring it back as you need it.

B) Maybe, probably only on iPad, have a way to have icons for specific sections pinned just to the right of the hamburger button. So a couple of favorite pages I could have buttons pinned up there at the top of the screen on the left. I can’t think of specific prior art from other apps for this, but it came to mind.

C) If there was a way to add a “Guide” block to a personal section, I think I could build a page that would do everything I usually need, and just set that as my default. For reference, my “Favorite” channels only number about 7 or 8 channels, so it wouldn’t be unwieldy as a block on a section, although horizontal scrolling would probably be odd there. I haven’t played with the sections much (didn’t know about them until today!), so this might not make a lot of sense, but I wanted to at least mention it.

Anyway, hopefully this at least explains how I personally use it, and why I find the new design a bit inconvenient. Thanks for listening! :slight_smile:

I feel your pain.

I will say that it’s possible to somewhat customize the personal section to be acceptable I guess. Here is my home page that I land on when the app starts. Notice the buttons for guide and tv shows. You can customize buttons and order things so the land near the bottom of the screen. So you can get your one tap guide back but it is for sure less pretty and you have to set it up.

1 Like