Is there a free way to use the DVR feature?

Hi, I realize that projects and products need to make money, but $8 per month seems like a lot for the very few times I actually need to see and/or record live content. Is there a way to do all of this for free assuming that I am willing to self host whatever to make it happen?

Thanks!

1 Like

No

4 Likes

The developers can correct me if I'm wrong...

There is no commitment with the $8/month subscription so you can stop at any time for as long as you want and resume later as needed.

All recordings made during your subscription period are yours to keep forever as individual MPG files with no DRM, even if you are no longer subscribed.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s a lot easier and certainly worth it to just pay for the subscription. But there was this one thread awhile back which may help you along with that decision: How to recording programs without Channels Plus subscription [tutorial]

I understand everyone's calculation is different.
For $8/month (or $6.67 if paid yearly) you get a polished headache-free product.

1 Like

No good for unattended recording but for the occasional one-off manually started recording VLC isn't too hard to figure out.

1 Like

NEXTPVR or SageTV are free.

I believe you still have to pay for guide data or go through the hassle of finding a free one

1 Like

Honestly, you’re better off using NextPVR at that point. It’s free, relatively easy to use, and you get a day or two of free guide data

3 Likes

I’m a cheap bastard and particularly resistant to subscription anything. My goal was to test it out with the trial to see if I could wean my wife off of Tivo. That failed but so did my plans to cancel since Channels offers so much that I couldn’t give it up. Now I’d cancel one of my streaming services before cancelling Channels.

1 Like

Walmart sells a relatively cheap OTA DVR for about $40-45 (plus storage if you don't an extra one lying around) with no monthly fee. It has the OTA (limited) program guide that you can use for setting recordings, or you can program recordings manually by time and channel.

Not nearly as good as Channels DVR, but it works, it's cheap, and once you buy it there are no extra costs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Core-Innovations-CTCB105-Over-the-Air-Digital-TV-Converter-DVR-Box/837052384

1 Like

Unless you need tv everywhere recording, there is plenty of alternative dvr software that will record ota and unencrypted cable for free.

1 Like

First off, you are self hosting it anyways, so that doesn't matter.

This is a platform that is well worth the price of admission, and this development team is amazing, attentive, and constantly enhancing the product. Its a subscription that you can see where the money is going very easily after using it for a while.

Now as to whether its worth it to you, then you need to assess that value. For me, there are a couple of things that come to mind.

• Ability to use the same UI and DVR database and switch providers as I see fit. The family never has to learn a new interface and you don't lose recordings when you switch. You can subscribe, record some content, then unsubscribe for a while.
  • Best DVR there is, and that is from someone that was a diehard Tivo user for years.
  • Merging together many different content sources into an easier to use interface.
  • Integration of the remote into the software for a seamless experience.
  • Commercial skipping.

If you don't do much Live TV then maybe its not worth it, but it is well worth what they are charging if you do use it.

Has ChannelsDVR ever thought of doing regional pricing based on country/currency?

If your in a 1st world nation. $8usd is less than my last Starbucks coffee. However if your in a 2nd or 3rd world nation. $8usd might not be in your budget.

Granted doing that is devaluing the devs. But could open Channels DVR to new groups of people. It may/not be worth a topic of exploration.

I just subscribed to the annual plan for $80. It would be nice if Channels offered a lifetime plan like Plex does. I was using Plex DVR for a little bit because I already had it for free with my lifetime Plex Pass. I decided to come over to Channels anyway because it seems to be superior. Just would be nice to eliminate that payment with a lifetime option.

1 Like

This has been discussed and beaten to death and has been answered there are no plans to offer a lifetime sub.

1 Like

Well still would be nice whether or not they plan to do it.

Channels is superior because we charge for it and that funds on-going development.

Plex is suffering in comparison, because lifetime pricing is a Ponzi scheme and when the money ran out they had to go out and raise VC cash and switch business models. Now most of their users and money comes from advertising, so they don't care much about DVR users like you.

9 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I’m very happy with Channels DVR so far. Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

The only value for Channels is the TVE channels. JellyFin can already record HDHR channels. Just for that and to evade DVR fees from your cable/satellite provider (or OTT provider), its worth it