Issue with dropped frames on ATV beta 11.18.2127

v2021.11.23.0230 has the crash fix.

v2021.11.23.3080 removes a change which may have caused framedropping to be worse. It would be useful to know if this build is better than the last one or not.

@tmm1 I put on espn with the stats showing and let it play for like 3 hours I dropped about 800 frames but could this be issue? The pic shows that 59.994 is the specified fps and 60fps is the actual content (if I am interpreting this correctly also I took this pic right after I started the test so the drops don't show the 800). That means that there will be frame drops every 10000 frames if my math is correct. I submitted diags

Ok so I put it on an atsc3 feed from NBC and let it play a while. I had a few dropped frames and then it stopped pretty much and everything was smooth.

Then I tuned to an astc1 feed from cbs. There was the frame mismatch on the stats there and I dropped frames consistently

I submitted diags again just now

Do you have Match Framerate enabled on the ATV?

Just to be sure, the frame drops still happen with default audio?

Yeah I'm matching framerate. Just changed to default audio and display fps still shows 59.996 and fps shows 60 for espn tve. Frame drops are less but still happening but much much less, like 2 in the last 2min

Tuned to cbs atsc1 and the display fps is 59.940 and fps is 29.970/59.940 which is correct. Dropping small amt of frames, 4 in past minute. But no where near as bad as it was with exp audio

Major update out

Please try with 11.24.2036 shortly

What about the pip issue hdhr sources that I emailed a few weeks ago?

Is that have to do with all this video driver work?

Thanks.

We are aware of several bugs with the PIP workflow. The integration needs to be rewritten using new APIs introduced in tvOS 15. Work happening to stabilize and promote experimental drivers to default is a prerequisite.

3 Likes

@slampman How are things looking on the latest testflight?

So pretty good. Had something weird last night watching where the video jumped and appeared to skip a bunch of frames when I started playing it. I'll try to repeat and get some logs this time. But otherwise much much better :blush:

1 Like

@tmm1 I just messed around with it and I tuned to foxnews on tve. I viewed stats and fox news was showing 24fps (its usually 60) it showed I was dropping a bunch of frames. The video however didn't appear to be messed up. I switched to fox business and had the same issue. Then I switched to an ota channel and the stats looked normal. Switched back to both fox channels and the stats showed correct.

Stats display bug? I submitted diags just now