Kayo for Channels

@matthuisman - interesting - I plugged in my url http://localhost:8184/play/53208 into VLC and it managed to show me what the problem is (see screenshot). I'm using a proxy dns solution and it seems that Kayo is somehow able to detect it. Interestingly the official Kayo app (and website) still work fine for me, it's only impacting Kayo for Channels.

see what url it returns
Then ask your dns provider to add the domain its using

1 Like

I did a network capture and I can see all the dns queries that VLC is making. They are all being handled correctly and are returning the proxy IP. I confirmed that the IP is correct by also doing a capture when using the kayo website (which works) - the traffic all goes to the same IP.

It feels like Kayo have done something new that detects access via a vpn/dns proxy; yet it's only impacting access from something that isn't a kayo service (either their app or their website).

maybe try change the VLC user-agent to something else (eg. a browser user-agent)

1 Like

Even though Foxtel are generally slow to adopt new technologies, they can be aggressive in their content protection. In the past even things like airplay from their app which was years late would be restricted etc.

To avoid the pain, it may be simpler to just find a small rpi or a spare machine with a standard dns and run docker on that.

heads up. appears kayo is introducing DRM to most live channels now after the recent Feb update
The current api endpoint seems to now just return channels that dont enforce DRM.

I switched to new API for the kodi addon and now get all channels but lots are DRM now

Matt would it work to expose those received in the Kodi add on to Channels via your Kodi proxy ?

even if I switch to new API in the docker container, those other channels will fail due to DRM :frowning:
Channels would need to support DRM via ffmpeg which would open up a huge can of worms I suspect as that means you could output decrypted stream. The pirates pretty much do this from what I have seen in some repos.

Ah I have 6 channels left :man_facepalming:

Yeah, think I might have to look at Kodi to retain this method of accessing Fox sports
Would your Kodi (docker) > Plex work for DRMed Kayo ? (using Plex Kodi integration)

0 Channels. was fun while it lasted. Thanks so much for your work on this Matt, much appreciated!

what a shame :frowning: :frowning:

2 Likes

Say it ain’t so. The most used of all my channels.:cry:

Is there any chance of a workaround or support for this in the future? I’m heavily invested in channelsDVR with 7x Apple TVs, HDHR etc… hoping I don’t need to move to another platform.

I agree! Thanks @matthuisman, it was much nicer being able to watch kayo via channels than via the actual kayo app!

I guess it's safe to remove all my kayo for channels configuration now - it's unlikely to make a comeback I'm assuming? :frowning:

1 Like

Ever the optimist, I was hoping @matthuisman's silence was due to him working his magic on a new solution in the back-end!.

Forgive the silly question, is there any way you could authenticate the stream outside of channels and then retransmit it on the local machine as a live stream to channels to pickup?

This is how it already had been working, authenticated via docker. Authentication doesnt remove encryption which is the issue. Channels cannot play an encrypted stream ie widevine. As Matt indicated earlier, the process of supporting widevine can attract unwanted usage.

authentication isnt the issue. Issue is the streams themselves are encrypted with Widevine DRM.
You'd need something to decrypt and then rebroadcast. Like a modified ffmpeg that works with Widevine.

oops. @kor had already answered above me basically the same thing

1 Like

thanks @kor @matthuisman, like I say ever the optimist! :grinning:

I was thinking there may have been a way for instance to have Kodi server do the stream, and then rebroadcast it to channels for playback at the end point, but expect that would break some rules around rebroadcasting content.

@matthuisman any chance the experimental custom channel/strmlink feature just launched for NBC channels might work for Kayo? (e.g. still have fox league in the channels guide, but when we click on it, it opens Kayo and initates the 502 live channel stream) and if that worked, perhaps it might work for the binge live channels too. It would be a small win to have a guide and direct link to the stream.

1 Like

i still publish a kayo epg Raceday Review - Morphettville so if you can find a workaround for playback - then sure why not. I don't know anything about strmlink etc, so you'd need someone else to help out with that :slight_smile:

It's a new type of custom M3U channel source