Kodi Add-on

I'm simply replying to the comments, I did not post the plugin here and I never made the claim it was a "first-party PVR client".

It was designed to be a standard Kodi plugin (bridge) to ChannelsDVR with the benefit of M3U/XMLTV generation... Maybe someone can enjoy it. Thanks for the feedback.

5 Likes

Thanks for the work you put into it ... it does work so like racameron some users will find it useful.

2 Likes

The current Channels / Kodi 18 implementation, while certainly very usable, isn't exactly "full featured" either. Can I read into your comments the plan is to try to provide a full integration (guide, scheduler and all) to Kodi 19 once they're out of the alpha stage?

Into my comments, no. Aman previously said that no work on a PVR client for 19/Matrix was going to even begin until it was released as stable. You can look further up in the thread to find his exact statements. But scheduling was specifically mentioned as being on the roadmap some time ago; whether it still is, I don't know.

This is a Kodi proxy for tvheadend. Is it possible to make it work here instead. https://github.com/matthuisman/kodi.proxy

Sample URL for tvheadend

pipe:///root/kodi.proxy/tvh.sh "plugin://plugin.video.kayo.sports/?_=play&_play=1&id=53208&play_type=2&start_from=0&_l=.pvr"

With the newest Custom Channels support in the pre-release, you could just use tvheadend's m3u export feature and add the channels directly into Channels.

Check out the thread here:

I am actually just trying to add the Kodi plugin into here. I don't want to have to run tvheadhead only so I can import the Kodi add-on here. Hence the q about customising the proxy or url to be used directly in Channels

I did a couple searches today hoping that I wouldn't be the first to ask about using Kodi as the front-end with Channels as the dvr backend. I just installed the v2019.11.22.1947 Android ARM 64-bit build that Aman posted on my Shield 2017 running Leia 18.9. The install from zip loaded instantly with zero configuration and it seems to work beautifully on the Estuary skin. I haven't really hammered at it yet, but the listview and playback was good on the few tv shows and movies I tested for the first couple minutes. Well done!

1 Like

I’ve had a bit more time to experiment and here’s what I’ve noticed so far. If I jump straight into recordings and click on a show, the episodes display immediately and up/down navigation is fine. Clicking to actually play one of the episodes gives the spinning wheel for an extended time. I wasn’t patient enough to wait longer than about 90 seconds before I backed out. An interesting observation is that if I select an episode from the recent recordings, it starts playback instantly. If I close out of that and then go to recordings, the also now play instantly. It’s like that establishes some connection and is now over the hurdle. At first, I thought that was a fluke, but it seems pretty consistent. I’m sticking with the native app for now. Believe it or not, I think I actually prefer the look and feel of the Channels app for now. I’m not sure if that will continue to be true once my list of shows rapidly grows. That’s where the minimalist name view without images starts to be preferred.

For what it’s worth, I could no longer replicate this behavior on my third attempt which was hours later and included force closing Kodi and clearing cache. Loading shows from the recordings this time had no delay. Not sure why it was different than first 2 times...also a couple hours in between.

A huge thank you to the dev team for continuing to raise the bar!

With Kodi 19 having reached release candidate stage, is there any plan to revisit a Channels-DVR Kodi PVR add on?

6 Likes

Is this (he says hopefully) still on the radar? Kodi 19 official has been released for a few weeks now. Just wondering if it is still in your plans.

6 Likes

I too would like to see a full fledged Channels experience in Kodi 19.

2 Likes

+1

Just realized Kodi 19 had formally released on February 20.

Count me as one who would like to see the plugin updated for v19.

1 Like

I'd also like to see this and can help in testing/debugging.

1 Like

FYI, as we wait for a native kodi addon:

I setup NextPVR (via docker, but probably fine on any platform they support). I then fed channels m3u and xmltv into NextPVR and it works (though guide data doesn't display for the pluto channles, will have to look into this closer).

Then in Kodi (Matrix, but imagine Leia version might owrk) I installed the official (Kodi repository) NextPVR client.

This in turn gives me access to tv within Kodi (ChannelsDVR > nextPVR > kodi) with ability to "record" all from inside Kodi!

Of course the recording is handled by NextPVR, and I have not tried to work out where recording is stored, to see if I can get it displayed in Channles , etc.

This setup at least lets you interact with the channels provided from ChannelsDVR and setup recordings.

Would still love to see a native Addon that interacts directly with Channels, but this is a good interm solution for me :slight_smile:

Wow, that's pretty MacGyver :+1:

I'm not sure if I have the patience to try this out but getting recording management from inside Kodi might be attractive enough for me to try it. Does comskip work OK?

To be clear, the NextPVR setup does not use Channels to do the recording, so no auto comskip via Channels. NextPVR docs mention ability to setup comskip, but for my use case for now, the one-off recordings I might do within Kodi will then be moved (or will setup paths to not have to move), then I could run a manual comskip from within Channels.

Most recordings are already setup as passes in Channels, soI probably won't record a lot from within Kodi.

But being able to view live tv, and the one-off recording ability without switching apps is nice for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do the exact same thing with NextPVR, Channels, and Kodi. It works as a stopgap for my media center PC in the living room, however it does not provide as nice of an experience as the Channels app on my Shield TV. The time shifting is terrible. And changing channels takes up to 15 seconds.

I would gladly volunteer to beta test and troubleshoot either a Kodi integrated PVR, a standalone Kodi addon, or a dedicated Windows PC app (or all of the above, I'm greedy), so that I can truly take advantage of Channels in my media center PC.

2 Likes