LinkPi encoder family

Yeah I can see where that could be an issue for rack setups. I guess I missed that distinction, thanks.

Encoder and the last keystone jack came today. Just waiting on ethernet cables now.

2 Likes

Ugh, doesn't look like this ENC1-V3 supports HDR passthrough.

I'm impressed with the admin options but I'm not impressed with the video quality. Might be having to send this one back, it looks worse than the old Uray.

Did you try settings from up above?

Yeah I looked at that from the get-go, but those settings are actually worse than what I have (4k bps vs. 8k).

I'll play around some more but right now the vid quality is noticeable worse with the encoder vs. the source.

Sorry, I completely forgot to mention this thread too:

Specifically deals with washed-out images on LinkPi too

Is the YCbCr 4:4:4 8 bit setting the same as YUV 444 8bit?
That's the only similar option that I see on an Nvidia Shield (I wanted to test this) -
Also, I can't seem to find the video option on the Onn TV 4K Pro - it's not under Display & Sound -> Advanced display settings - there is an option to enable sRGB under developer options, and under Dynamic range & Color format, I only see SDR, Dolby Vision, HDR

Yeah the problem with my provider's Android TV-based box is that they locked down some of the display settings, there's no way to set YCbCr in display options. Given the black levels I see I'm guessing that it's set to RGB by default.

Will pursue seeing if there's a way to set color space with adb since I have access that way. But if I can't change the color space I might have to pursue the issue with youyeetwo or return the box, because the elevated black levels are bad.

Update: from what I can see there's no way to fix this with either device settings or ADB. There was a Reddit post that mentioned setting display res to 1080p instead of auto and then you'll see the color space settings but that doesn't appear on my box. And there's no way to change color space with ADB that I found.

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

That's an amazing setup, one of the cleanest installs I've seen. Nice job!

1 Like

Are your Fire Sticks connected to your network via ethernet or WiFi? If you don't mind, can you check your network settings to verify that it's actually ethernet? Reason why I'm asking is I'm having issues getting the right adapters to get ethernet to work. I thought it was the micro USB to USB A adapters, so I ordered the ones you linked to and they look identical to the ones I had. I also tried another brand that look completely different and that didn't work either. I reached out to Cable Matters about the 6" micro USB to USB A cables and at first they said they only pass power, then came back and said they pass power and data. I have Tripp Lite cables ordered in the hopes that will resolve, but I don't have high hopes. The USB A keystones are Tripp Lite.

1 Like

You're losing me a bit here, as my build list calls out OTG (On-the-Go) cables from Cable Creations, and they're 8". Having proper OTG cables is important to this setup, in order for both power and Ethernet to be delivered. Obviously, the USB keystone jacks and USB A to Micro B adapters need to be passing all pins as well.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish at this point? Are you saying that the Ethernet adapters you purchased, combined with the PoE splitters aren't working -- or are you trying to switch over to the UCTRONICS adapters?

1 Like

Wild guess - there may be a difference in adapter compatibility between a vanilla Fire Stick and the Pro? The non-pro sticks have had several cases of ethernet adapters working one day, busted next, or never working. Seen this myself.

I wasn’t aware of your list until after I built. My POE splitters are working fine, and when I plug the Amazon Ethernet adapters in directly to the sticks, they work fine. I run into an issue when I use the keystone jacks. My chain from the Ethernet adapter to the Fire Stick is a micro USB to USB A adapter, a USB A keystone, USB A to micro USB cable that connects to the Fire Stick. When I use that, it gets power, but no Ethernet. Ethernet doesn’t even show up, just WiFi (which I have disabled). I thought it was the micro USB to USB A adapter, but that didn’t fix. I have different cables on order, but I don’t know if that is going to fix either. I just wanted to verify that yours is getting Ethernet through your cables and adapters. I may end up going with the UCTRONICS adapters, but I’m not quite there yet.

That’s also a good point. I think he’s using 1st gen Fire Stick 4K Max, I’m using 2nd gen 4K Max.

2 Likes

Are they OTG cables? If your current splitter/adapter setup is working when connected directly, but doesn't work when using keystone jacks, it's most likely due to not using OTG cables.

EDIT: From my build list (which I know you didn't see until after you did your build), these are the cables you need. The end labeled Host connects to FireSticks installed in racks, using keystone jacks:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKW6RYD

I'm using both first and second generation FireStick 4K Max devices.

I bought a 5 Port one on Amazon day and finally got around to setting it up. Only using 2 ports now and will add a third soon but I have noticed that it gets a little hot. Anyone else notice that theirs gets a little hot? I have not noticed anything adverse yet...

What do you consider hot? Mine is usually anywhere from 50-55C

Thank you so much for that - that was the piece of information I was missing. I think I'm going to simplify my setup and eliminate all the faff. I have the UCTRONICS adapters on order - they're supposed to be here tomorrow. I'll post pictures when it's done.

2 Likes