LocalBTV support would be nice now that Locast is gone

I love LocalBTV. I think it would be great if Channels offered it like they did with Locast.

I'd also love LocalBTV integrated into Channels. Locast is a big loss for me and LocalBTV would ease some of that pain.

1 Like

I dunno about that. LocalBTV has all the channels that I removed from broadcast TV.

1 Like

Pretty good channel selection on LocalBTV. Would also love to see it integrated.

1 Like

Do you all actually watch these channels or do you just like to see a large channel lineup?

1 Like

@ phongzie Have you ever watched Antenna TV, GetTV and MeTV? I'm telling you. These OTA channels broadcast some of the best stuff. I love Sanford & Son, Silver Spoons, Leave it to Beaver and The Flintstones. And then of course on CW the MNT channels there's the Steve Wilkos show and Judge Jerry.
I'm easy to satisfy. Just give me them free OTA channels and Pluto TV. :grinning:

Actually, I was using Locast mostly for channels like GetTV and so on, I don't spend much time watching network TV these days. I see a great value in adding LocalBTV support, as it gets back most of the channels I watched frequently on Locast along with a few extras that I love, so I'd love to see it supported as well.

Chief

3 Likes

This thread inspired me to check out LocalBTV. It's actually pretty cool. Even includes a cloud DVR with 300 hours of storage to record/play programs. And it's free? I had to read more. This line in their FAQ piqued my interest... but something tells me the recent Locast news doesn't bode well for LocalBTV's loftier goals.

@ Fofer You don't need to worry about the future of LocalBTV. Because unlike Locast, they actually get permission from the networks. And because they only make the channels available in their respective markets, they get to broadcast the channels for free βˆ’ on the condition that they provide the service for free as well.
That's another mistake Locast did. They charged money for people to access these local channels without interruptions.
You can still donate to LocalBTV βˆ’ and you should if you enjoy their service, but you're not required to.

Another request for LocalBTV. I don’t care about the major networks at all but I miss PBS, Get TV, MeTV etc.

please stop spreading misinformation as to what actually happened and why locast was forced to shut down.

6 Likes

I miss locast but localbtv is pretty good for me, a directv subscriber who only gets the major channels via sat. It has a lot of the subchannels but locally no metv or decades. I'd like it on Channels because the cloud dvr is pretty wonky. At least they are all on dvr now, not long ago some of the channels were blocked from recording.

No major networks yet, but a deal with one is already in place, says the CEO. In 16 markets now, with the goal to hit 100 next year.

I agree with you, @crackers8199. There is some misinformation out there about what happened with Locast.

Locast didn't steal anything. By law, a non-profit organization is allowed to rebroadcast TV signals as long as they don't make more money that is necessary to maintain their service. They messed up by using their profit to expand their service.

For those who want a clear explanation of what happened with Locast: https://youtu.be/SI0lF3fJIXY

Back on topic...

It would be cool, indeed, if LocalBTV was included in Channels.

2 Likes

+1 LocalBTV

@ mjitkop That's just the thing. Locast called themselves a non profit, yet they charged money for the ads to go away. That's where they got into legal issues.

Anyway. LocalBTV has expanded to a few new markets. It's nice to see that they're growing as fast as they are.

1 Like

go research what the term "non-profit" means. i do not think it means what you think it means.

while you're at it, for what seems like the millionth time...please stop spreading misinformation about what actually happened with locast and why they were forced to shut down. it had nothing to do with them "charging money for the ads to go away" like you say here.

nor did it have anything to do with "charging money for content that isn't theirs and without the networks' permission," which you've also said multiple times in this thread.

i'll say it again...just because you keep repeating this crap over and over again, that doesn't make it true. please, stop. i get it, you work for localbtv (or your family or friends do, or you know someone who does)...but please, stop repeating the same ridiculous nonsense about locast over and over and over again as if it's true. it isn't.

@ crackers8199
Locast lost in court and they're gone for good for the reasons that I stated. So what's with your attitude?
I don't make the law and I'm not the judge who rule in the case against Locast. I know you enjoyed Locast, but you need to get over yourself. You seem like a very angry and mean spirited person. Just chill. Okay?

I quoted you three times, none of which are the reason the judge ruled against them...yet, you keep repeating these same reasons over and over again.

the judge ruled against them because they were using their incoming funds to expand to other markets. full stop. THAT was the reason for the ruling. it's all public, you can read it. I've linked to it previously in an attempt to correct you nicely.

not because they were "stealing content" as you've accused them of more than once, nor because they were charging money to make the ads go away, as you've also said multiple times. nor does charging money make them not a non-profit, as you just tried to imply in your last rant.

in the fact free world we live in, yes, I'm angry and mean spirited when someone repeatedly spreads misinformation and disinformation, even after being called out for it multiple times.

i will not chill, and I will in fact continue to fact check and call you out for as long as you continue to blatantly make stuff up. okay?

2 Likes

another +1 for btv