Locast Court Ruling

Being 'in the market' doesn't mean you can get the signal. Maybe it's in another direction, and you're using a directional antenna, or maybe that particular station is behind a large obstacle, or the station is further away or weaker power. Or many other factors.

But with an estimated field strength of 64.9, it's going to be hard to get that signal under basic installs, even with an outdoor antenna. In my case, I have a roof mounted directional antenna, and I can't get channels under about 74 field strength within my directional field.

Giving us the shareable link of your rabbitears to give us an overall picture of the stations in your area, the direction they are in, and what you are successfully receiving helps to determine what your situation might be.

Also mentioning what antenna you are using and how/where you have it mounted helps.

Those are low VHF Channels (anything with a physical channel of 6 or below). Unless you have an antenna that specifically picks up low VHF, you will not get them no matter what you do. PBS in particular screwed over a lot of people by selling their better frequencies during the FCC repack and picking up these much, much worse ones. It has happened all over the country.

This could totally be a directional thing or an obstruction thing, just not enough detail. I'll let you know I'm in the Providence, RI market (yet actually 10 miles closer to the transmitter than you are) and have no issue with this channel:

What app is this screen shot from? I looked on my Windows app and found nothing like this.

http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/hdhomerun_tech_windows_20210210.exe

Silicondust Commercial TECH Software

• Current release: 20210224

Free

Any HDHR install.

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe

Thanks for mentioning this one... I've tried 4 indoor antennas so far and none would get all my locals. This one, with its signal booster, did. I got it today and it's performing well. And it looks nicer than all the others I'd tried, too. I appreciate it!

1 Like

Just to give the generic link to what @xmguy provided in case they update the version:

SiliconDust keeps it buried deeply on their site, but it is very useful, as you can see!

1 Like

Its in every windows client release - no need to install their "tech" version. See

Not for me; I installed from the Windows Store and not the stand-alone installer and don't have that directory (also checked x86, just in case). Further, I checked in the directory it did install to from the Windows Store (that was fun to get myself permission for that) and it is not in there, either. Installing the "tech" version was the only option for me, in this case.

Same here.

Sorry - there is a difference between the "app" and the "client"

That being said, the normal client install at https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/ ( HDHomeRun Software for Windows)
includes the config gui app. Main point is that you don't need this TECH install buried elsewhere.

1 Like

And I listed the path to the utility above on a default install in Windows.

:sleepy:

Booo! Beginning to wonder if justice actually exists in this country. Booo!

1 Like

Unfortunately, the blindfold was removed many years ago....

Where’s MY government carve out to protect my revenue stream!?! Gimeee!

Where and how does Locast have that much money sitting around?!?!?! Their 2020 revenue was $4.5 million and their costs were $2.4 million. I need an original document source for this one (and can't find one yet).

2 Likes

I doubt they have it, it’s just what the court ordered them to pay. They’ll likely have to liquidate any remaining assets and it will all go to the plaintiffs.

Whatever. I hope directv and dish and other major carriers work out a deal with silicon dust to integrate tuners into their boxes — or something. The local broadcasters should be left to starve to death. Period. Not one more penny from me. Can you tell I’m angry? Bastards.

There is nothing to stop an individual from doing what locast was doing for their own personal use (set up an antenna, and transmit the stream over the internet to yourself. Channels will do this for you, actually). You just can't make a business and charge money for the re-broadcast.

If Locast was free without interruptions and was only using donations to cover operating costs, this wouldn't be an issue. But they were making money and expanding by re-broadcasting content that all other re-broadcasters making profits are paying licenses for. It was doomed to fail.