Locast Court Ruling

So will we.

I didn't mind the donation, but that interruption method WAS a little sketchy and I did throw a little side eye at it originally. It's akin to a popup on your browser and we all know how annoying those things are. If nothing else, this lawsuit brought this piece of good upon us. I'm glad they responded and got rid of it. I support them much more for it.

1 Like

If I didn’t get OTA channels I definitely would support Locast. I’ve lived in places where an antenna wasn’t a possibility and Locast is great. It doesn’t even matter to me that the quality isn’t as good as my antenna. At least we have the option which is great. Hopefully enough people feel the same and continue to donate so they can continue to expand and grow.

yeah unfortunately calling something a donation but then having a mechanism to force it like a subscription isn't going to stand up to legal scrutiny

time to get your antennas setup

Yep. If I read right, this was one of the sticking points and exactly why getting rid of the interruption was the right move.

At least it's not interrupting the stream

Just received this from Locast...

Locast Nation

As a non-profit, Locast was designed from the very beginning to operate in accordance with the strict letter of the law, but in response to the court’s recent rulings, with which we respectfully disagree, we are hereby suspending operations, effective immediately.

Thank you.

Locast is dead RIP.

This sucks as there are some channels not available on TVE - The CW being one.

2 Likes

RIP! Might have to consider cable again for basic channels.

Someone got paid off

1 Like

Sad

This smells strategic. I wonder if Locast suspending operations clears the way for AT&T and Dish to pursue things from another angle.

1 Like

I would not bank on them coming back.

Yeah. I'm an optimist so I get disappointed a lot. But I hope nevertheless.

2 Likes

I think Locast saw the ruling earlier this week as a sign of where this was probably headed. On one hand, I'm disappointed they suspended operations because I believe their service is greatly needed for those that can't afford the high cost of cable and also can't afford the upfront cost of getting an antenna. Or, live in an area where OTA isn't possible. On the other hand, I hope this keeps networks from moving more content behind paywalls. Although I think that is inevitably where things are going. And, we'll all have to pick the services we want to subscribe to.

1 Like

I don't understand this choice at all. The trial hasn't even happened! Didn't Locast say they wanted the lawsuit? Are there not other options like noted above?

My only guess is that in this other ruling about the case, the judge refused to grant David Goodfriend (the founder of Locast and its parent Sports Fan Coalition) immunity from prosecution. Even though--according to the ruling--they already agreed that there would be no potential monetary damages for Mr. Goodfriend (just injunctive relief), since SFC could not pay for Mr. Goodfriend's lawyers he did not want to take on the costs personally.

As the evidence states:

A few days after Locast's launch, on January 18, 2018, Mr. Goodfriend exchanged emails with his mother about Locast. Terry Deel., Ex. 23. Mr. Goodfriend wrote: [I)f we lose in court, I haven't lost much and probably gain reputation as a fearless badass.

2 Likes

@babsonnexus I'm assuming this was a bigger blow to them than they were expecting. And, maybe after dropping the 15-minute interruptions yesterday a lot of customers stopped their subscriptions. Or, the legal team saw this as a sign of things to come and advised Locast to suspend operations. I'm sure while going over their legal options the last few days something provoked this. I'd like to think optimistically they suspended operations while they sort out a new strategy and model. But, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Oh yeah?

Sure does, they changed it again in less than 24 hours, this time, throwing in the towel :sob:

I used Locast for local channels...now that they are gone. anybody have any suggestions on how I can get them now? Certain providers like ABC don't stream in Atlanta through their app or TVE.