M1 Macs - iOS Apps

Great feedback thanks. Both should be better in the next TestFlight build.

Just got the update and it works great! Thanks!

I have a suggestion about the recent change to the Play To menu: Since I have multiples of the same device type, I find myself doing mental gymnastics for a split second each time I open that menu and just want to play on the device I'm using. I think that would be alleviated by changing the first device string to "This Device" or "This Screen" instead of the type of device I'm holding. Thoughts?

1 Like

You can turn it off and use right click when you want to Play To

2 Likes

I'm not seeing that option (tested with the Play To switch on and off). Clicking Watch starts playback without a prompt:

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 4.26.41 PM

Are you using latest TestFlight build?

1 Like

Yes sir:

1 Like

Working now in 10.25.2139, thanks!

1 Like

Hey all. I haven't been here in a bit, but saw an update to the Channels app specifically identifying improvements mentioned above in TestFlight. I've been on a trip, but I just remoted into my home M1 and verified that the resize bug is fixed on my machine too, so it's been released. Great work!

1 Like

Any chance of making a Catalyst version of the iPad app for Intel based Macs? I'm assuming what's working on M1 and M2 Macs is basically the iPad version of the app, and as other's have experienced, it works surprisingly well! I'd love to have a similar experience on my 27" Intel iMac.

Delivering a Catalyst version vs just making the iPad version available are two completely different things. There's no plans to deliver and maintain a Catalyst version at the moment as we've not been particularly impressed with Catalyst and how apps based on the technology fare between macOS releases.

Maybe one day when it gets stable, we'll take a look at it. But this falls in the same category of our answer on new clients. There's no plans to launch and maintain new clients for new platforms right now.

Hey, just discovered this free tweak. With one checkbox, it adds big improvement to the text display in iPhone/iPad apps, like Channels DVR, on M1 Macs. Very cool!

1 Like

There's a new PIP in town, works great on my iPad:

However it's worth noting that this update seems to have broken PIP when using the same iPad app on my M1 Mac. I know this isn't supported so fixes aren't expected but I just wanted to share. I am able to get the PIP button back in the M1 app when running it on my Mac, but only by first re-enabling the "Old PIP" inside the Debug menu.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. I’ll see if we can make it work but if not, see if we can detect it’s on a Mac and use the old way.

@Fofer This should make it work (and remove the option because it doesn't work on macOS). Thanks again for raising it.

No problem and thank you for fixing it! I just tested and it's working fine. :+1:t3:

Perhaps with the release of macOS Sequoia in the fall, the new PIP may work? I'm not willing to subject my primary laptop to a Developer Beta at this time. Happy keeping an eye on this beta thread in the meantime, though! cc: @elvisimprsntr

It's unlikely, but possible — I've started bothering Apple about un-implemented APIs on macOS and tvOS, but I don't have high hopes. It's been two major releases that they haven't addressed the issue so far.

Channels PIP on Sequoia working. Scoobie Doo!

Thanks for chiming in but just to be clear, the "new PIP" implementation is in the older TestFlight.

The latest/current version has reverted back to the old PIP. Which TestFlight version did you test?

I'm running to official App Store iPad Version 5.9.1 (5.25.340).

Ah, OK thanks. Yes that's the "old PIP." That's worked fine for awhile. The new PIP implementation was rolled into TestFlight 6.30.105 about 2 weeks ago but then disabled, by default for macOS, today in 7.1.2133.