M1 Macs - iOS Apps

Having the same issue in my 2nd monitor. How did you update to the latest version, with uninstall/install? Didn't realize macOS does not show updates available for iPhone/iPad apps...

iOS apps do show up for me in the App Store, since that's where I got them. I've had instances where even Mac apps forget they're from the store (going to the app's page shows a download-from-cloud button, not "open" or "update"), and I have to delete and reinstall from the app store.

On the app store update window, you can also use command-R to "reload" the update window (like a browser window), and it will recheck for any updates.

Good luck!

Now with PiP. Loving it on M1, iPad Pro, iPhone.

I understand that this maybe out of your control:

Mac paired with a HomePod mini-
When I play any audio/video from other apps or via the browser, there is short lag in response to playback start and stop but the audio and video are in sync.
Via the channels app, the same lag exists however the audio and video are not in sync. it works normally when not using the HomePod. This is on current ver big sur.
E: The experimental Audio driver resolves it. The experimental video driver does not seem to impact the result

That's only true for iOS/iPad apps that are sideloaded via iMazing or other means. If a developer hasn't opted out and you're able to install that iOS/iPad app via the Mac App Store (like we can with Channels) then updates should appear as usual.

1 Like

Wow thanks for this fix with the PiP trick to get it to match the window size! Exactly what I came here looking for.

Just wanted to chime in here with a non-update. Video payback canvas size behavior is the same when using 11.4 and the latest Channels app. Either a complicated bug, or Apple doesn't know about it yet. A good way around it would be if Channels released a Catalyst-based Mac app, which will either help find a way around the bug in an explicit way (rather than automated hands-off Apple Silicon way it is now), or expose the bug a bit more visibly. Also, Intel-based Mac users could then use the app.

Hey all, just wanted to give a quick non-update. The scaling issue between screens hasn't changed at all, and the last improvement was PIP support, since when you have playback working, you can move it to PIP, move the Channels window to the screen that normally mis-scales it, and de-PIP it into the window for proper scaling. The layer the video is playing on is clearly not being synced to match the window UI when it switches screens properly, while de-PIP does do the necessary UI update to the proper screen context. It's not totally naive about it tho, cuz moving back to the correct screen still works correctly. It's like internally, its always using a single screen for scaling info context info, and it returns a null for other screens (since the video is shown at a fixed resolution with no regard for the window size, this isn't a default behavior, but an unconfigured or null behavior). I think this is still an issues only Apple can fix, since it's an iOS app misbehaving on the "automatic" M1, but kinda sad it hasn't been fixed. Hopefully they're at least aware of it.

1 Like

Hey all. This bug is still here, but I discovered another app that has a similar issue. RadarScope will work fine on the display Channels also works fine, but on the second display, Radar scope will lose all the UI controls, and just display a full-window radar image. If it's in a dual-pane mode, it still picks one and displays just that. It's the only other app i've seen anything similar (layers and views lose arrangement, one takes over the window)

I went through the trouble of recording the screen scaling issue and then found this topic, but figured I would post it anyway for posterity. Hopefully this can be addressed (by Apple I would assume) or even better yet a native Mac app one day!

2 Likes

Thats pretty common. Your monitors appear to be different resolutions. Happens to me on windows when i drag any video to another monitor.

It’s for sure an iOS app on Mac issue, since I don’t experience this with any other (native) video player app.

2 Likes

I’ve no idea but does this change in macOS 12.4 have anything to do with it?

1 Like

This issue still occurs with macOS 12.6 and Channels 5.5.5
The moment you drag the app to a secondary monitor (even when all monitors are "retina" and using the same scaling amounts) the video zooms in and is unwatchable.

I had this same issue with my Mac Studio running MacOS Monterey. The only workaround I have found is to set the display you want to watch on as the “Main Display” in System Preferences > Displays > Display Settings. Once set Channels looks as expected on that display.

Is this issue still happening with latest macOS?

The issues with video scaling on secondary display have been fixed. You can install the beta app from TestFlight on your Apple Silicon Mac to try it out.

1 Like

First off thanks SO much to the team for opening up M1 support in TestFlight and looking at issues! I have a few to add (both of which happen in the latest beta as well as current production release):

1 - Is it possible to keep video playing when switching to another desktop via Spaces? I'm not sure if that's a bug or a framework limitation.

2 - Is it possible to change the number of On Now grid columns based on windows size? Currently it stays locked at 3 columns regardless of width.

Great feedback thanks. Both should be better in the next TestFlight build.

Just got the update and it works great! Thanks!

I have a suggestion about the recent change to the Play To menu: Since I have multiples of the same device type, I find myself doing mental gymnastics for a split second each time I open that menu and just want to play on the device I'm using. I think that would be alleviated by changing the first device string to "This Device" or "This Screen" instead of the type of device I'm holding. Thoughts?

1 Like