Mini PC specs help?

I am thinking of purchasing a mini pc to use as my DVR. Don’t want to pay much. I won’t be using it for anything other than the DVR and just let it run 24/7. Can anyone recommend the bare minimum I would need to make it work properly? Would something like this be effective?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0899JKPRD/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_n5ncFbP6CZG30

Thanks

Intel Atom does not support transcoding. If you don't plan to use for Away From Home video streaming, then it should be okay.

Ok thanks. Will it have a problem streaming TV everywhere cable stations on 2 devices at once? And will I be able to stream my own 1080 movies from a My cloud without issue as long as I am streaming the original quality?

I'm not sure, but compared to the MyCloud Home processor it will be a big upgrade.

Ok thanks. I’ll give it a try.

Have you looked at these they are refurbished ... I just setup one for a client .. it supports Quick Sync Video.

Looks as if some people have had issues but I’ll check it out. Thanks.

Is quick sync video a must have?

Hardware transcoding is supported using QuickSync.

If you need any amount of transcoding, it’s very helpful. Transcoding is always needed for remote access, but not usually for local access.

I would get something that can do hardware transcoding ... I rather have that option than not ... better than having buyers remorse when you need transcoding. :smile:

I agree. I’m just trying to find the cheapest options with quick sync. And I am not sure how to determine which PC have quick sync because it’s not specified in the specs. Any ideas how to identify which intel processors I should be looking for? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Google for the model number of the CPU then search the Intel ARK page for QuickSync

Ok. Think I found a mini PC with:

Intel® Celeron® Processor N3060
2M Cache, up to 2.48 GHz

Says it has quick sync. I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks for all the help.

1 Like

Ok so I’ve been running the new DVR on mini pc for about 24 hrs and everything seems to be working great. My only issue is how do I set Windows 10 to automatically restart after a power outage. I have frequent flash outages here and I don’t want it to happen when I’m away from home and I’m not able to access my DVR. I read something about going in BIOS mode and changing the settings there. I followed the directions I found online and it didn’t seem to work. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Are you talking about logging on to Windows automatically ? If that is the case you can look here ....

https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=21

I have an acepc mini it also claimed to support auto on in bios but never worked correctly. If you get a small cheep ups that should help.

1 Like

Ok thanks. Think I’ve found something.

https://www.staples.com/cyberpower-450-va-battery-backup-ups-8-outlets-black-se450g1/product_24403538?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:24403538&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=24403538&KPID=24403538&gclid=CjwKCAjwjLD4BRAiEiwAg5NBFs8ciN6dv-LQNLyhyKDeaqvvv3wfD8j4a1T572ZRT56-xNtcHKQWWRoCHLMQAvD_BwE

1 Like

Yep a UPS should definitely be in your arsenal

Any recommendations? I’ll be using it for a Mini PC, Router and My Cloud Home.