Movie Channels such as Epix, HBO, Starz, Etc

Is there any plans to add HBO, Epix, Starz / Encore, Cinemax and Showtime. All do have streaming availiable in their apps.

Just curious to what makes some providers available and others not like A&E, ect.

Live streams. On demand streams are not compatible with Channels, only live streams are.

Currently need Live TVE Streams from the network provider to work with Channels DVR TVE.
Personally don't think DRM content (Cinemax/Encore/Epix/HBO/Showtime/Starz/etc.) will ever be available on Live TVE streams.

The majority of these channels have live streams integrated into their apps. Why cant those streams be used? They authenticate just like the ones with web TVE.

Just like the DirecTV website has streams for every channel integrated into its website for DirecTV subscribers.

Im not sure why this is such a hard issue. This software is no different than a VCR or DVR. Im paying for the content regardless.

I think the only ones with a live stream on their WEBSITE is Showtime.

Because the TVE feature relies on the TVE framework to access the content. Content provided through apps like you mentioned are using different authentication mechanisms. Even if the Channels developers could figure out a way to reverse engineer the authentication, it would not be legal.

ID RATHER JUST BE ABLE TO INTERGRATE MY ON DEMAND CATALOGS INTO CHANNELS DVR. SUCH AS If I USE DIRECTV ID LOVE TO HAVE THE ONDEMAND INTERGRATED. OR MY HBO ETC ON DEMAND INTEGRATED. OR MAYBE NETFLIX INTERGRATION. I WANT AN ALL IN ONE APP. THIS IS WHERE BIG CORPORATIONS LOSE OUT. LOVE CHANNELS DVR AND LOVE WATCHING IT EVOLVE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Are there any plans to add another page/section on the app where users could see a list of their on demand things like netflix/Prime/Hulu? Not necessarily recording, as there is no point, but simply accessing them without leaving the channels app.

Are there any apps like that currently?

Devs can correct me if I’m wrong but the streaming services typically don’t allow 3rd party applications (like Channels) to access their content. As a result, I don’t believe this is possible.

1 Like

PlayOn is the only one that I know of. I've been using it for some time now. The number of streaming channels they support has gotten smaller over time but the major ones like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime are still there.

1 Like

You can’t access those sites from a Play on app

If you’re referring to the sites I mentioned, your wrong. If you subscribe to some of them like Epix through Amazon Prime, they are available. https://www.playon.tv/

I see no Play on app where you can watch those channels. It records on demand of the channels individual websites.

From what I’ve heard PlayOn is somehow scraping the content from the services without their blessing. Good read on that here:

So while they haven’t been forced out of business, what users are doing with their software is certainly against the Terms of Service of the streaming providers. I don’t think that’s a line the Channels developers want to cross.