Movie Library bad matches

I just scanned my old movie library that I have in separate folders with a naming convention that Plex recommends. I realize this feature is still in beta but about a third of the matches are incorrect. Also, I would hope you'd use ThemovieDB to scrape background images instead of making thumbnails. Or the option to chose either file thumbnail or background art. TMDB also has Youtube links to trailers that would be fun to have accessible on channels. A button to fix a bad match would be helpful. Looking forward to this being 100 percent! Thanks!

You can use the option to fix an incorrect match on the web admin.

Having years in your file names helps a lot.

Could you give a sample of your movie file names so we can take a look?

Sure:

For example, if a title is named Murder.Over.New.York 1940 (which is a common way for movies to be named with "." in between words (like it or not), Channels is stumped.

Here are a few other examples:

Another issue is a lot of us have a trailer or featurette in the same folder as the movie in our library. But Channels recognizes these files as movies causing duplicates. See screenshot:

What is an example filename for featurette?

This is tricky because we don’t support additional extras or trailers for movies. So our scanner naturally just scanned it in as another movie.

Sample filename for a featurette is:

Goldfinger (1964)-featurette.mp4

That's what is used on Plex and Kodi for us with existing libraries. If you don't support trailers and or featurettes I get it, but you'd probably want to make sure that the movie isn't added twice in the collection.

Also, as I've mentioned before I have a number of movies like this:

A.View.To.A.Kill.(1985).avi

Now I COULD go and rename all my files but it'd be great if you found a way for Channels to ignore "." and replace with space for filenames.

Cheers!

I made some notes awhile back from both Plex and Kodi recommendations on naming movie extras.

PLEX conventions, except where noted [KODI]

ARTWORK
2:3 (1:1.5)
Poster.(jpg|png)
Poster-1.(jpg|png)
Poster-2.(jpg|png)
16:9
art/background/fanart.(jpg|png)
art/background/fanart-1.(jpg|png)
art/background/fanart-2.(jpg|png)

Movies/MovieName (Release Date)/Descriptive_Name-Extra_Type.ext
Where -Extra_Type is one of:
    -behindthescenes
    -deleted
    -featurette
    -interview
    -scene
    -short
    -trailer
    -other
Note: The filename must end in the -Extra_Type value exactly. The hyphen is important and you cannot have spaces after it.
It is recommended that you provide some sort of descriptive name for the extra before specifying the type at the end of the filename.

Organized in Subdirectories
You can organize your local extras into specific subdirectories inside the main directory named for the movie. Extras will be detected and used if named and stored as follows:
    Movies/MovieName (Release Date)/Extra_Directory_Type/Descriptive_name.ext
Where Extra_Directory_Type is one of:
    Behind The Scenes
    Deleted Scenes
    Featurettes
    Interviews
    Scenes
    Shorts
    Trailers
    Other
It is recommended that you provide some sort of descriptive name for the extras filenames.
/Movies
   /Avatar (2009)
      /Behind The Scenes
         Performance Capture.mkv
      /Deleted Scenes
         Bar Fight.mp4
         Lost Sister.mkv
      /Interviews
         Sigourney Weaver.mp4
         Stephen Lang.mp4
      /Scenes
         Arrival.mp4
      /Trailers
         Teaser Trailer.mp4
         Theatrical Trailer #1.mp4
         Theatrical Trailer #2.mp4

[KODI]Save Extras, such as Bloopers, Cast Interviews, Production Notes, etc along with the main movie in a folder named Extras.
/Movies
   /Avatar (2009)
[KODI]/Extras
         Arrival-scene.mp4
         Bar Fight-deleted.mp4
         Performance Capture-behindthescenes.mkv
         Sigourney Weaver-interview.mp4
         Stephen Lang-interview.mp4
         Teaser Trailer-trailer.mp4
         Theatrical Trailer #1-trailer.mp4
         Theatrical Trailer #2-trailer.avi

Bad matches are still causing me problems with imports. A PlayOn import ASTRID (Astrid et Raphaëlle) matched the first episode as ASTRID (2014) - some 2014 movie. Subsequent episodes import as episode 2 and 3 with the episode name from the downloaded file name. The first episode now shows as an Extra still linked in the database to the 2014 movie. Nothing in the web UI allows me to "unmatch" it with the movie. No match would be better than an incorrect one.

I renamed imported file for ASTRID episode 1 with an extra space before the episode title in the file name. Channels DVR imported the renamed file as episode 1 with the episode title from the file name. I know that I am just playing tricks with the database as a workaround for my problem.