Moving channels to a new server

chDVRuser thank you. I mapped the Synology as a network drive and didn't go through the web interface. When I did that it shot up to 60MB/s and moved 1TB in just under 5 hours. I think it was the web interface.

2 Likes

Also, the Synology says on network interface "1000mbps full duplex MTU 1500"

Can you translate that for me please?

1 Like

You're running Gigabit (1000Mbps) Ethernet in full-duplex mode with a default MTU of 1500.

For more info on what all that means you have to do some reading. Following are suggestions.

Synology-How can I troubleshoot a low data transfer rate

Synology-What can I do when the file transfer via Windows (SMB/CIFS) is slow

Lifewire-What Is Gigabit Ethernet

Lifewire-Bits Per Second Explained

Lifewire-Introduction to Ethernet Network Technology

1 Like

So i have move this directory and I can see the recordings. I have new records that show in that folder but the recordings from the previous dvr will not show in the channels app. How do i get the dvr to look at this folder and pull in the moved recordings.

I do not have it memorized but you have to do a RESTORE after you move the directory to the new server. Did you do that?

1 Like

On the new system you have to open http://x.x.x.x:8089/restore and pick the latest backup after you move the files over.

If you already made new recordings in a separate database, then there is currently no way to combine them together.

1 Like

No. I didn't know to do that until later. Now I think if I try that I will lose all the new recordings the dvr has captured. Plus for some reason all of my backups appeared to be dated for 2018. I think I my be suck, Unless there is a way to force the dvr to look at folder and pull in what's there.

1 Like

Is there a documented procedure for moving channels DVR server from one pc to another?

3 Likes

Apparently the developer did finally respond to the question in this post;

I would really appreciate a step by step from @tmm1on exactly how to move my ChannelsDVR data from one drive to another on the same computer, my iMac. I'm not a coder or an expert in this stuff so a clear authoritative guide on how to do this would be very appreciated.

1 Like

Drag and drop all the folders to the new drive

Uncheck the dvr checkbox, click "..." underneath and select the new drive. Then check the checkbox again.

1 Like

Thank you for this set of instructions. My Mac Mini 2018 started to give me fits this week. Odd stuff - mouse losing its ability to click and keyboard not responding on some letters. Fortunately, I was able to perform a "Save Database Backup" prior to shutting the Mac Mini down.

Had a backup boot disk on another drive and rebooted to it. This got channels running and my Mac Mini working with mouse and keyboard, but the Channels DVR was missing recent recordings. The steps to pick the correct database backup were critical to recovering all of my recordings and schedules. A BIG Thanks from me!

1 Like

Is there anyway I can get this back? I see the two recordings in my Folder but Channels fails to see it.

I was able to manually import it and I can only see it in my library but its missing all the info like description, thumbnail etc like the rest of my recordings.

when i copy the directory across the network via rsync, it's finding a lot of symlinks in comskip that it can't process. is it ok to miss these or do i need to do something else?

You can skip them.

1 Like

So I set up a new mini pc for my server going from my laptop. I copied the entire dvr folder over. Installed the server. Directed it to that folder. I finally uninstalled the server on the laptop and the AndroidTV app finally found the new server on the Mini PC. All was right with the world. My recording all showed up, my passes were intact. Everything was good.

I came home tonight and fired up the TV and now all of my recordings and passes and upcomings don't show. On the server everything shows zero. Yet I go into file manager and everything is still there.

Did I miss something? How does it go from looking completely normal to completely gone? And the dvr section in settings/basic setup is grayed out. I can't change/access where the dvr folder is.

Any ideas how to get it all back?

Did you restore your latest backup from the old computer on the new one?

2 Likes

You can't change the location until you disable the DVR first.

3 Likes

Didn't know there was a restore. Didn't think to look for it and don't know why it's so tiny tucked away at the bottom of that welcome screen. Trying to read text on a 55" screen from 9 or so feet away doesn't really lend itself to reading fine print.

Might be something they should add to where the backup option is. God damn it islanders...(sorry... They just went up 3-1)

Most apps/programs I know have backup and restore in the same section, not only on a welcome screen. Or make it more front and center as an existing user when logging in for a new setup.

Funny thing is, since it was all working properly. My passes were all there. My recordings showed up. Wouldn't have thought I needed to restore. I'm guessing it was using the info from the original setup until the app was shut down and restarted, in which it then became a blank slate.

All back to normal now. Thanks.

And devs... Highly recommend the suggestions above. A little more front and center during setup would be nice. Or at least put the restore function with the backup function on the server settings screen. Shouldn't have to manually navigate back to a home screen to get to that.

Thanks, it’s on our list. We know this should be easier. We hair that this is hidden and confusing.

Don’t attribute that which is probably explained by time crunch and priorities for that of ignorance and bad design. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: