Multiple(2) HDHomeRun units with Channels DVR?

Does Channels DVR allow for Channels/2 HDHomeRun(s) to-

1. Specify certain shows to record on a particular unit.
  2. Set up separate folders for each unit to record to so-
    Recurring (Pass) recordings go to only Unit #1, and
    Single recordings go to Unit #2
  3. Therefore, I can set up a backup routine with my Mac backup software to copy only the folder from Unit #2 to my NAS.

Channels DVR will use as many HDHRs as you have. You can order the priority of each device but you cannot assign specific tasks to any one unit or tuner. Nor can you direct specific recordings from one type or tuner to a specific destination. The DVR will just use the first available tuner on the higher priority device.

Yes. Multiple homeruns can be used with channels at once.

Not only that, they can be of different types.

Example:

2 Primes
1 Connect Quatrro

Also, a little known feature, for the primes, they do not have be on the same provider…
Example: You have access to some channels on FIOS, and some other channels from a cable company. Channels lets you select different lineups per device and then gives you a unified view with channels from both and automatically selecting the HDHR that has that channel.

For OTA, if you get signals from two towers (same zip), and have 2 connects (extend/etc) you can “disable” the weak signals from each tuner and end up with a Uniform channel list that pulls from both devices… (and any Primes)

Signals from different zip codes are feasible but through a “workaround/hack”.

and finally:
Channels works with the OLD versions of t HDHRs. Note that this is NOT recommended as the newer models provide a much better experience and features; but if you have them,

In my case, I have 4 primes, 1 quarto, 1, extend and everything works well together.

1 Like

Also, the Channels app itself supports tuner priority too. So you could prioritize tuners in Channels DVR in one order, and another order in Channels.

This would let you give priority to some tuners for recording and others for live TV.

1 Like