Multiple TVE Streams

I have channels up and running, however whenever I try to use multiple TVE streams, the picture gets very choppy. I am running it on a dell t330 server with a quadro p2000 gpu so I know it is not that my system is not powerful enough. I even tried using 2 different TVE sources.

Could be a network or disk issue. For each TVE stream, it must first go through your network to your DVR server. Then it gets written to a temporary buffer on disk in your recording directory. Then it is read from the disk and sent to its final destination: either another file for a recording, or back across the network to the client.

Those steps are repeated for each TVE stream; so 2 streams means 4 concurrent network streams of that content and 2 concurrent writes on disk, and 2 concurrent writes if you have 2 live streams going.

To improve performance, make sure everything is wired gigabit ethernet, and check that your drives are healthy and not failing.

1 Like

I tried maxing out my nic and copying large folders. I am unable to reproduce it, unless I start a second stream.

edit: My network is in 1g mode

• Are all your clients gigabit wired?
  • Are you testing while streaming both TVE channels live, or are you recording one and streaming the other?
  • How is your storage volume mounted? Is it an NFS or CIFS share? If it's external storage, is it USB 2 or 3, or some other connection?

Remember, the more details you can provide the more helpful responses can be; otherwise, you'll only get WAGs in response, and those aren't generally helpful.

1. My entire network is gigabit wired.
  2. I have only tested with both live.
  3. I have a dell t330 server with 8 sata bays. all concerning drives are hooked up by sata.
  4. I have tried it with the recording folder on a 4tb hdd and a 250 gb 860 evo
  5. I noticed when I go to ipaddress:8089/system it shows "rw.compress" next to my drives. I checked in file explorer/properties and my drives are not compressed. I also disabled it in gpedit, regedit and cmd but it still shows it. Is this an error?
  6. All filesystems are ntfs.
  7. thanks

I just tried live and recording, same result.

This could be a similar issue (with a possible fix provided):

Also, I don't recall seeing which client devices you are seeing the issues with.

no dice for your network solution

I am using the web client in firefox and m3u output.

I noticed it tends to stutter in the web player when the white progress bar reaches the end of the screen.

When I bought my t330, I chose the cheapest sata controller. I figured 6gb/s is 6gb/s. Maybe it is time for an upgrade?

Of course, it could also be an issue with the clients you're testing with. You may want to check the "Web Player" settings to see what's going on, as well as whatever is consuming the HLS stream.

The web streaming (either in browser from the DVR web UI) or using a direct HLS stream in third-party isn't the target UX, and therefore not likely to have much attention paid to improving those aspects.

Have you noticed this problem when trying to live stream 2 different TVE channels concurrently to the Channels DVR client app on a supported platform (tvOS/iOS/Android)?

Just tried it on my android phone and tablet (5g wifi) same result

Click Help > Submit Diagnostics on the DVR web UI

I just submitted logs.

It seems to be a little better, I enabled location services, chrome hardware acceleration and deleted/readded my sources

Nothing out of the ordinary in the logs.

Did you check the Task Manager already to see if the CPU or RAM or DISK or NETWORK are maxed out?

Nothing is maxed out, most things are low. I really think the issue has to do with location services being disabled. Is this a known dependency?

For TVE, yes. Geofencing is used to restrict certain streams (such as whether to offer East or Pacific feeds for NBCUniversal channels, or whether your market area is available for local NBC, ABC and Fox affiliates). Location is based on the browser used for setting up the TVE provider, but the DVR server itself may also play a role, especially if it has to reauthorize a channel.

That is good news. Maybe someone could provide a complete list of requirements for Channels and TVE. Thanks

You mean like:

(Scroll down to Requirements.)

Except that is not complete, it does not mention location services and possibly more.

Location services being off cannot cause video choppiness issues. If anything the hardware acceleration change is what helped. That is usually on by default I thought?