Multiple user access?

Is it possible to “share” user access with another gmail account at the same time? Every once in a while I need to log out and log back in to my family’s DVr from a remote location. I don’t really like sharing my passwords with anyone but would like to share the dvr with their account at the same time so they can log in with their credentials.

5 Likes

There is no good way to do this at the moment, as the DVR was designed primarily for personal use. I agree it would be useful to have, and it would also be cool to be able to set permissions to restrict guest access to specific channels only.

6 Likes

multiple user access would be amazing.

4 Likes

Hi @tmm1 - thought I'd circle back on this thread. I'd definitely enjoy guest access for visitors, etc. Any chance that's something that is being thought about going forward? (given it's been over a year since this thread)

This is not something that is a priority at the moment. We are focused on personal use since that's how most customers use the product.

2 Likes

I'll throw my hat in this too. Another reason I signed up for this was to allow guest access for my mom who is on a fixed budget and can't get locals with an antenna where she is. So I allow her access to my DVR so she can watch her beloved reality shows :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Even just some sort of profiles for different people in the same household. I would love to see a personalized list of Up Next recordings that is different from my wife's. There are some shows that we each watch separately on our own time and it is hard to keep track of which episodes each of us have watched. Thanks for all the hard work you do!

2 Likes

Side tracking a little, and definitely would love to see multiple users, but use Trakt to keep track where each of us are. I generally use 'iShows TV' as the app that links to Trakt.

Yes. Need to be able to add users.
Would like to set normal, limited user who can view guide, watch live, set DVR recordings etc...but has no settings or admin access where they could fumble around and mess up things.

4 Likes

My 2¢.

Now when everyone is hibernating, distancing themselves in their homes. It would seem a fantastic feature to allow my dad (Who has a finite set of video sources) access to the recorded content on my AppleTV channels dvr.

It would be great if I could allow him.

3 Likes

If it's your dad, what's the challenge?

If you have remote access configured you can probably just share your Channels credentials with him and he’ll be able to connect.

Same here, this seems to be a great feature to have, just imagine a household with multiple people and TVs or devices, currently we all have to share.

Maybe before Channels was popular now it has become a whole household DVR ... Hard to keep up with what is watched when others are watching the same shows. I have left a show partially watched only to have it marked watched because other household members watched it.

My User Profile at the moment is a scratch pad. :grinning:

2 Likes

Although I don't have that issue I can understand the need for others.
Maybe just start out with a 'limited' (non admin) user that can't access the DVR web UI/change settings/delete recordins/etc..

Expanding on that would require some thought as to how to accomodate multiple profiles for passes, recording from On Now/Guide, viewing that profiles recordings, etc.

4 Likes

True I can see where it would require a lot of work ... I do like the Idea of limited access users. My scratchpad will do for now.

1 Like

I primarily want this feature because I'm constantly at a friends house and I have a lot of content that I would love to put on for the kid while we are over there. Plex works half the time but is unreliable since I've been forced to move to IPV6. So far Channels has been solid in that transition...so now I'm hoping one day this will fill that plex need and I won't need Plex anymore.

2 Likes

@tmm1 I can see that full multiple user support would be a lot of work but I think I have an idea that might be less complex.

My idea is that there could be two external access links, one that’s as it is now and another that allows read access only. I think that would provide much of the functionality that people are after here without necessarily being such a huge undertaking.

Obviously having multiple accounts with fine grained settings per user would be great in the long run, but for now just being able to allow access to watch live tv and view recordings would be a huge improvement.

1 Like

Read-only access can be emulated with Settings > Library > Allow Deletion.

2 Likes

Any multi user support we make would specifically be to support your household, not for content sharing for other people outside of your house.

2 Likes