Multiuser DVR (Replace TiVos)

Yes I have Docker Desktop on my Windows 10 machine ... That is where I had my server setup before I fully moved it to Synology and Docker. It is only running Pluto container at the moment.

I'm not using my Win 10 PC's for Docker or Channels.
I prefer using my Synology NAS's for that since they run 7x24 and that's where I store my media anyway.

I also think on Docker Desktop for Windows you need to replace --net=host with -p 8089:8089
But like I said, I don't run Docker on Windows.

1 Like

My Synology DS1019+ 16 GB memory Setup ... This allows for Sharing Streams/tuners across all. Shows how flexible and great Channels DVR is... Worth every penny.

Pluto Docker Container

ChannelsDVR1 Docker container (OTA Tuners) ... > M3U > XTEVE Container 1. > Plex
ChannelsDVR2 Docker Container (Prime Cable Tuners) ... M3U > XTEVE Container 2. > Plex

ChannelsDVR1 Docker container (OTA Tuners) ... > M3U > EMBY
ChannelsDVR2 Docker Container (Prime Cable Tuners) ... > M3U > EMBY

ChannelsDVR1 Docker container (OTA Tuners) ... M3U > Main ChannelsDVR on DMS7
ChannelsDVR2 Docker Container (Prime Cable Tuners)... M3U > Main ChannelsDVR on DMS7
TVE > ChannelsDVR on DMS7
Pluto Docker Container > ChannelsDVR on DMS7

Docker for windows can use powershell but doesn't have to. Just drop to a normal command prompt, start run, cmd
and enter your docker commands there.

The Documentation for windows is not clear to me ... and I am not that familar with docker on windows ... so I do not even know what commands to issue to get the TVE image.

docker run --detach --name=channels-dvr --restart=on-failure:10 --volume c:\dvr\config:/channels-dvr --volume c:\dvr\recordings:/shares/DVR fancybits/channels-dvr:tve

This is all one command from the cmd prompt. First create folders on c: drive then run command then localhost:8089/welcome that what worked for me. Note no hardware transcoding

Thanks that worked is there a way to configure ports to use ?

I don't know I haven't tried. I'm currently trying to get it to work with the rpi4 running the raspberry os. I'm just learning docker and doing a lot of trial and error.

I was just able to change port to 8086 using pirtainer. If that helps

Me too just learning ... I am well versed in the Synology docker thanks to members of this community. I support a lot of Windows Elder/Not So Elder Clients from home and trying to learn as much as I can on Windows Docker especially as it pertains to Channels DVR.

I was able to add the port ...

docker run -p 8085:8089 --detach --name=channels-dvr --restart=on-failure:10 --volume R:\ChannelsDVR2\config:/channels-dvr --volume R:\ChannelsDVR2\recordings:/shares/DVR fancybits/channels-dvr:tve

1 Like

I'm finally ready to get the NAS setup to run two separate installations of Channels DVR Server, but I'm still a bit green. I had to order a new Synology DS220+ to support Docker because my earlier purchase of a DS120j unfortunately was underpowered (512MB) and the unit did not support a Docker installation.

Am I doing it correctly, if I take the following steps?

• Channels DVR Server installed on NAS
  • Docker installed on NAS
  • Channels DVR Image downloaded and installed (TVE version)
  • Channels DVR Server installed inside of the Channels DVR Docker Container?

Does everything just run after that, or is there a lot of setup to go through? It's the setup where I get stuck usually.

Thanks,
Rob

You have to go through the web setup and assign tuners and storage ... I would first set the NAS one then the docker.

HTTP://YOURNASIP:8089

Thanks @Edwin_Perez. The NAS install is all set and working perfectly on port 8089. Now I need to get the Docker install up and running. It was suggested that I use port 8189 (or anything other than 8089) for the Docker install. I just don't want to get it wrong. I guess I just need to give it a shot.

As for the installation of the Channels DVR Server in the Docker Container. Are there any tricks to that I should know, or will I get to select it as the install target?

You might want to read starting here about the docker ... You need to set Time Zone and folder ..

Multiuser DVR (Replace TiVos) - Channels DVR - Channels Community (getchannels.com)

LOL. I started this thread. OK. I will take a stab and see how far I get. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Well none of this working. I am very much in over my head. Time to take a break.

:-1: Giving up. Deleted Docker for now. Nothing I've tried so far makes this work. Documentation on setting all of this up is woefully deficient. I can understand a lot and I'm always willing to experiment, but at some point it just goes over my head. I'm not an IT expert by any stretch of the imagination. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

What I did on my Synology was just pull the image ... then did everything on the Synology through the Docker UI. Ports Storage . time zone etc ...