Multiuser DVR (Replace TiVos)

I did a small write up on this and put it on this forum....I'll see if I can find it

Edit: Here it is Synology Docker and Transcoding

Note that you can't do this from the GUI. You need to SSH into your NAS and run it from command line.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help. I was able to get help from support and I'm happy to report Channels DVR is finally working on both ports (8089 and 8189). I've submitted logs as requested to see if there's a reason why my installation was so difficult.

Now I just need to figure out if the Timezone on the Docker install should be UTC and if not, how to change it to EST.

1 Like

It should be your local timezone. Set an environment variable to your local time, such as -e TZ=America/New_York.

And I figured it out. I had an / before America. Took it out and the Timezone is now set to EDT. Last thing I needed was that family member complaining about incorrect program recordings. :grinning:

I have one question when running as a Docker how do I Import media from other sources ? Do I have to mount the Import folder to the docker on creation ?

Yes.

Or, use the Imports folder where your DVR recordings are stored.

So I would have to move the recordings to the import folder ? cannot use symlinks ?

Using Synology Docker you can
Stop the docker container.
Edit the docker container to add your import paths.
Start the docker container.
Add the import paths in the Channels DVR web UI.

1 Like

That works but testing on Windows docker is a different pain in da butt. I thought on Windows you could just mount them using the Container CLI.... as you can tell I have Idle time on my hands.

I'm staying as far away as I can from Docker for Windows!

1 Like

Know what you mean running it on Native Windows is so much easier to maintain. Best to run the main DVR on Windows and run TVE etc... on Windows docker.

Can channels server run in docker on a rpi4 running raspberry pi os. I can get it to run in docker on the rpi4 running the Ubuntu 64 bit os but would like to use the stock raspberry pi os if possible.

No, I don't think so. There is no published arm7 image, just amd64 (x86_64) and arm64 (aarch64). I suppose if you wanted to create your own image using the arm7 Linux install, perhaps.

I mean, technically, yes you can. But you'll have to do all of the heavy lifting yourself.

Thanks I thought that might be the case. I might have some time this weekend to try.

We can probably publish an arm7 image. But I think it would be preferable to run in 64bit mode.

When I have more time I would like to move from raspberry pi os to the Ubuntu but the learning curve is bigger than I thought and simple things I use on the rpi4 (vnc remote desktop for example) become major projects to setup in Ubuntu for non Linux user's

Both Raspberry Pi OS and Ubuntu are based upon Debian. While Ubuntu diverges a bit and goes its own way for some things (snaps, no thank you), underneath they're pretty darn similar. I'm sure your learning curve will be more shallow than you think.

(Also, while still in beta, there is a fully 64-bit version of Raspberry Pi OS you can use, too. In fact, because it stays closer to its Debian roots, you're probably better off sticking with RPiOS.)

Thanks that sounds like the best option. Downloading the 64 bit beta now.

Thanks again this seems to work well.

2 Likes