NBC TVE looking great for SB

Another question. Convert 30fps to 60fps.
I wonder if it would ever be possible for ChannelsDVR to include an option
to convert recordings, or maybe convert on the fly,
30fps to 60fps.
There are such converters, I've never used so I don't know if it actually works well.
And I agree, sports like football look much better at 60fps.

1 Like

Do you want to go from 1080/30 to 720/60? There the same. Also 1080/30 interlaced is the same as 1080/60 interlaced. It's about the data, not the frame rate. Our eyes can't see the difference at about 18 FPS. One could up res and gain a little yet a bad source is a bad source

LOL.
Garbage in, Garbage out.
BUT, yet, I think I see a difference between my Cox dvr box on football, it says 1080p/60fps( if believable)
and the TVE stream which is likely 30fps, its not as smooth.

What do you mean by smooth? Do you mean there is stutter?

Yes, a "judder", not pronounced, but it looks like it needs more frames.
But funny thing, If I watch what I know is 30fps, after a while I don't see the slight choppiness.
The brain is a wonderful thing, it fixes things !

I don't have a problem with the PQ of TVE. It's the janky stuttering and authentication issues.

1 Like

Yeah i noticed this with TVE for all the NBC channels, USA, Olympic Channel, they're all 30fps and not the smooth 60 fps. It's really noticeable and distracting during hockey games and other sports with lots of constant motion. If all tv was 30 fps in the past, i don't know why my brain doesn't like it anymore

Re: the stuttering, if you use Appletv with match framerate and content on + experimental video drivers, it looks perfect. I have absolutely no stuttering whatsoever. You cannot tell a difference between my TVE content and HDHR.

Can you give me a run down of what settings you use as I've played with them a lot and couldn't find a good combination. Are these all settings in Channels, or are you changing the Apple Tv's video settings as well?

I'm also curious to know what settings in the app you are using. Specifically, do you also have Deinterlacing mode set to experimental? And is match frame rate for Live TV set to On or Off?

Basically my config is this:
Appletv -
March content and frame rate on
4KSDR resolution

Channels DVR
Latest testflight beta
Video - experimental
Deinterlacer - experimental
Audio - default

TV settings (very important)
Disable ALL post processing, smoothing, motion flow, enhancers, everything

I have done this on my Sony bravia and my Samsung TV. I was actually thinking my Samsung was broken and needed to be replaced. After disabling all tv processing, it was like night and day. Everything worked perfect. I used to curse TVE for jitter but I really should have cursed the TV manufacturers and their default settings.

It is amazing to me how bad the TV processing is and it is usually turned on by default.

The only content that looks slightly bad is 24fps imported content. You can notice a slight stutter when there are excessive camera pans. Like I said it is very slight and nothing to get worked up about. TVE looks amazing, I have discovery plus and discovery TVE looks way better on channels.

2 Likes

Thanks! Good notes.

What about Channels > Settings > Playback > Advanced > match content for live TV?

yeah sorry I have that enabled as well

Thanks i applied these settings and the Olympic Hockey game i recorded and previously couldn't watch, was very watchable! It's not perfect though, for whatever reason, the little black hockey puck looks like it's fading away to white as it slides across the ice when it's moving quickly. But thanks for the tips, I'll leave these settings for now!

1 Like

Yes, thank you very much for posting these, I will definitely experiment. One last question, is the "testflight" beta for the DVR the same as the pre-release, or is that something else?

1 Like

yeah you might google your TV model and look for all the steps necessary to tun off all post processing. On my Sony there were like 10 things that I turned off and most of them I would have left alone thinking they were "needed". So you might have a couple settings that still need tweaking. For me watching USA on TVE I don't have the hockey puck issue, but I can just barely tell it is 30fps because it is not 100% smooth. That is really only in hockey with the fast motion. I asked my wife and son did they see anything and they couldn't tell. they thought I was the one that was crazy...

@swyman18 Sorry I should have clarified that. That is for AppleTV its basically the beta for the AppleTV client. If you aren't enrolled I highly recommend that you do :slight_smile:

I just checked this on my older Sony Bravia. Wow, there are a lot!

Brightness: Black Adjust, Adv. Contrast Enhancer
Color: Color Temperature, Live Color
Clarity: Reality/Creation, Random Noise Reduction, Digital Noise Reduction
Motion: Motionflow, Cinemotion

There are various sliders in each section, too.

I’ve been experimenting more on some recordings using the recommended settings, and it is looking better. I’m starting to come around more on TVE, little by little, lol. My hope is to not rely on Hulu Live’s terrible cloud DVR, we shall see.

On my Sony TV, I’ve always had all the motion settings turned off. I’ve read that some TV’s handle judder better than others when it comes to “24fps content streamed over 60fps”, or something like that. My TV is a somewhat lower end Bravia and I think just doesn’t handle it as well. I find that sometimes putting it into Game Mode helps with that.

Just set your apple tv to match content and match frame rate and you won't have as many issues :blush: