Need Sideload Client

OK. I give up. I've found out everything I want to know about the Channels Android TV version except where I can actually get the FRIKKIN' APK to sideload.

Maddening.

I know there were issues a couple of months ago where they had to remove the simple install from the stable version's settings, but I never thought I'd spend an hour looking for the APK for my new Shield Pro (warranty replaced after ethernet port died).

So, someone please link me to the Android TV client Beta APK please.

Here:

Man, I can't just DL the APK here on the forum? I've never used addon apps for Android TV because they seem redundant when I can simply send it from my PC to the Shield folder share.

2 Likes

Can't you just get it in the play store? I downloaded it today on my Shield with no issues

Pretty sure you can only get the release version there, not the latest beta.
And I think you can no longer install the beta from the release version.

From the link tmm1 provided above

:warning: Due to new Google Play Store restrictions, starting with v4.5.0 the Install button is no longer available in the regular Channels DVR app. To install the beta, use the Manual Sideload instructions below.

2 Likes

There is a link in that same place:

You can join the beta from the Store. I want to sideload so they run side by side each with their own settings. If you install the beta from the Play Store it replaces the stable version.

Sideloading this way lets me use the beta with hardware acceleration on for most stuff, then I watch Sunday Night Football on NBC in the stable version with hardware acceleration off which is the workaround for the nvidia encoder pixelation issues.

I do this because the NBC affiliate I watch has messed up pixelation on older Nvidia PC cards and the renderer in Shields.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks, I hate installing unnecessary apps when possible.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.