Networked drives

Just updated to ver 2020.03.19.2121 of the dvr on a windows pc. Is there anyway to see my mapped network drives. I'm only seeing locally connected drives my movies are on my nas that is mapped as a drive on my pc

Did you install the DVR to run as a service? IIRC, Windows does not allow mapped network drives to be available to services. Perhaps someone else has encountered this situation?

Yes installed as a service. Does anyone know if I connect the mybook via usb to the pc will it come up as a physical drive

Check out this thread & post for a possible solution:

1 Like

Thanks I'll give it a try

tried all of the above not sure what to do after editing the registry. if i delete channels as a service will network drive then be visible?

I'd suggest rebooting the system, but I have no Windows machines to test with.

I've added the Registry point, but my mapped drives are still not appearing as Sources for local content (after rebooting). :frowning:

You can use UNC paths by clicking the Network option at the bottom left in the directory picker

I've done that too, but this appears in the log file:
2020/12/28 22:58:02.458552 [ERR] Failed to read directory \\MYCLOUDEX2ULTRA\Shared Videos\Media\Movies: open \\MYCLOUDEX2ULTRA\Shared Videos\Media\Movies: The network name cannot be found.

Sounds like a name resolution error. If you use the IP address of the NAS instead of the name does it work?

still can not access:

2020/12/29 18:02:54.214932 [ERR] Failed to read directory \192.168.1.166\Shared Videos\Media\Movies: open \192.168.1.166\Shared Videos\Media\Movies: The file cannot be accessed by the system.

Two thoughts:

1. Are you using a double-backslash at the start? (I.e., \\server\share; I see in your named server post you did, but your IP address one you did not)
  2. Have you tried with shares that do not have a space in the path?

Edit: And a third:
3. What about permissions and/or credentials?

net work shares should end in a \

Enter UNC path to network share, i.e. \\COMPUTERNAME\SHARENAME\

OK - total brain fart :woozy_face: :woozy_face: :woozy_face: :woozy_face:- I missed part of the path, it should be:
\\MYCLOUDEX2ULTRA\Public\Shared Videos\Media

The folders in Media are in Plex format
Movies\MovieName\movieflie
TV Shows\ShowName\Season\showfile

Will Channels parse the subfolders as well??

Also, that's the wrong screen cap, it should be the one for adding content.

But I just looked in the log, and it's scanning the folders, so I'm good.

1 Like

It should end in a \

I think my last issue, is that Channels can't play .TP files.
Luckily, Plex does so I can always watch them through that.

If you rename the file to .ts does it work?

Yes, it does appear to recognize the files when renamed as a .ts file.

There are hundreds of files, I don't relish having to rename them all.