NEW: Android TV app for Channels DVR (experimental)

Guess not for me…Already have 2 “old” controllers that aren’t even being used :grin:

I’ll be trying the ole Fire Stick remote for these functions.

Tim: If you could post your results with the new controller once Channels Live TV app is updated, I’d still be interested. TIA

Play/Pause works with the Shield Remote and my Harmony. It would be nice if the OSD went away a little faster than it currently does. FF/Rewind also works brilliantly. Thanks for the quick add!

2 Likes

Ffd/Rew works on Fire Tv Remote using the >> & << dedicated buttons.

Great…thanks

1 Like

Pause, play. FF, rewind, and back all work on my stock Sony bravia tv remote as well.
Thanks!

1 Like

Should be fixed in 1.0.1

Let me know if you see any more crashes and I will check out the crash logs.

Crashed 2x, did get 40 min before the last one.

Only crash I see is due to “connection lost” while streaming. App should obviously not crash in this case (fixed for next build), but I’m not sure why you would be getting disconnected during streaming in the first place.

Personally, I think the disconnect is probably due to problems with Shield and mount of the USB 3 (powered) drive.

I’m having problems with MrMC (iOS) (and Plex) intermittantly not being able to see the drive on the network. Simultaneously, connectivity is OK with nPlayer and Windows.

Further to above, at least regarding: MrMC (using Plex Media Server) and Plex:

I’ve now seen that the Shield has “magically” changed external disk identifiers (i.e., USB 3 attached), while original ID/path is still used due to utilizing browsing to path to movies/shows, which ultimately results in non connection to the original recorded results.

I will try a “hard code” via ip/path to try to circumvent.

All of this, again leads me to say that the Shield is still (5.2 update) slightly wacky re: network reliability and connectivity.

v1.0.2 has been uploaded, now with a new Guide!

1 Like

Uploaded v1.0.3 as well, with really basic Up Next listing and experimental recording playback.

Very intrigued re: added rudimentary recording playback capability

Skipped V1.0.1 and loaded 1.0.3:

On Now: Same as initial. Did not retest prolonged channel playback (due to prior non resolved issues)

Guide: Approximately 12 hours. Currently, could only view/start play on the “On Now” channels.

Up Next: No entries on OSD, although have 4 Movies and 10 shows on “Up Next” in the web ui.

Rebooted the Shield, No Change…however, started two new recordings via web ui…both to end within the 1/2 hour…one movie and one show. Both are reflected in web ui, however not in Shield. Forced a stop on Shield, reloaded and still no change.

EDIT:

My Fault…I did not have Bonjour checked on the Shield DVR service. Once added, the Up Next shows were listed.

Trying to install up here, in the great white north, and I get the following. No eligible device for app install, No carrier NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV, this item cannot be installed in your device’s country. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have added Canada to the play store list and it should be available for download there shortly.

All I’m getting is a spinning circle and next to it it says ‘Searching for Channels DVR…’ I turned on and off Bonjour and nothing. My Apple TVs are picking up the DVR just fine.

Hmm, we are using standard Android library for Bonjour (NsdManager), so not sure why it wouldn’t work.

I tried just now:

• uncheck bonjour box
  • start android tv app
  • see spinner searching for dvr
  • check bonjour box
  • spinner disappears and app loads

Uploaded v1.0.4 with recently recorded movies list and playback.

Thanks, got it.

v1.0.5 uploaded, with some crashes fixes and a channel filter dropdown on the Guide.

Tested movie playback on 1.0.4 and now 1.0.5:

After several false starts and crashes:

4 of 5 movies are all trying to start playing at ~54min. This was the previous stop point (from web ui) on the 1st movie I tried to replay on Shield. First attempt to play the other 3 appeared to start at beginning, but next time I tried…went to 54min. None play.

The last movie (5/5) I tried only has 13min runtime and always starts at beginning.

Also tried to reset one of the movies (on the web ui) to 0, and then start playback on Shield. Movie again jumped to 54min.

Started on v4, remained the same on v5.