New Apple TV 4K hardware!

A12 bionic
new remote
automatic "color balancing"

Who is in?

1 Like

The remote is chunkier. With discrete buttons, including MUTE. Clickpad and scrolling function. Siri on the side.

Preorders start 4/30, shipping later in May.

I'm in!

1 Like

I'm planning on ordering on on April 30 and then retire my current one to the bedroom TV that didn't have channels on it (older apple TV). Can't wait!

2 Likes

I'm holding off for a bit, i think, until i hear about "real" improvements. I use a harmony remote, so the remote piece is less compelling.

2 Likes

the color balancing and the A12 bionic chip is enough for me. The enhanced picture quality from the AppleTV should make my set up look better. I won't have to change settings per app. I'm very excited about that new ability.

2 Likes

HDMI 2.1 confirmed! That may be enough for me...

The new remote will also be available separately for use with a previous gen AppleTV... for $59:

1 Like

This new "color balance" feature looks cool to me. I wonder how well it works? And thankfully it is available for the AppleTV HD and 1st gen 4K models, with some older iPhones too:

Through an innovative color balance process, Apple TV works with iPhone and its advanced sensors to improve a television’s picture quality.

Apple TV uses the light sensor in iPhone to compare the color balance to the industry-standard specifications used by cinematographers worldwide. Using this data, Apple TV automatically tailors its video output to deliver much more accurate colors and improved contrast — without customers ever having to adjust their television settings.

Fine print:

Requires iPhone with Face ID running iOS 14.5 or later, and is available for Apple TV 4K (1st generation and later) and Apple TV HD with tvOS 14.5.

I might be about to ditch my FireTV.

I will pre-order

Im not an apple fan but the new apple tv seems pretty decent. Although I have mostly roku's in my house & I love the roku interface. I'm holding judgement til I get my fire tv update, but so far from what I read, amazon is still shoving tons of videos on the main screen.

I bought an Apple TV 4K just for the better Channels experience a month ago, and today is the last day I can return it to the store... decisions, decisions!

1 Like

The remote looks closer to the shield remote... at least the circle portion.

To compete with Nvidia though, you can do soooo much more gaming with the shield including retro gaming, running services, connecting to PlayStation and side loading...

I just got Channels a few weeks ago with Fire TV. Obnoxious home screen.

I went to Best Buy today and bought a Shield and the soon-to-be-outdated Apple TV and will test them out tonight. Fire is fired in this house.

1 Like

I just can not deal with the fire tv interface anymore. I say its between apple TV & roku, but I lean roku, the most cleanest u.i ever.

Except the center button is also a touch surface, like the previous remote. And the exterior ring can function like a jog control, like the early iPods. So, looks the same, but additional/new functionality, too.

True, I saw that after I posted.

Part of the big issues with the remote was accidental swipes. I assume that will remain because of the swipe gestures.

Shield remote has back lit buttons and a find my remote feature...

I don't like Roku's interface at all, AppleTV's is much cleaner. And with no Channels app, that makes Roku a non-starter. For me, at least.

I know channels does not support roku, but I use channels with emby so I view my live tv through emby. Wished channels would make an app for roku, but I know the emby developers favor apple tv & are not to keen with the roku player.