New Apple TV 4K hardware!

I’ll be getting one for sure.

You can buy a google tv for the cost of their remote. :slight_smile:

No thanks

I’ll be curious as to how well the color calibration will work. Probably not as good as an ISF calibration by a pro, but will probably make improvements to any non calibrated set.

2 things that remain unresolved, unless we get a surprise:

1. Bitstream audio
  2. HLG HDR support

I'm getting really tired of the 2nd - no reason this shouldn't be enabled right now

1. Def not coming
  2. Might be coming because the new Dolby vision stuff in iPhone 12 is based on HLG. Also, they’re doing this high framerate HDR for broadcasters they’re working with.

Yeah - i get the sense they've drawn a line on 1. It doesn't bother me that much, given my use of channels and TVE, but it's one of those Apple "you're holding it wrong" kind of moments.

I have the same hope on 2, but wondering why the ATV didn't get HLG before iPhone? I saw the same note on working with broadcasters, and gives me hope. Basically all of my live TV 4K/HDR is compromised by this.

What do you mean by bitstream audio? Are you referring to passing the bitstream from movies down to a receiver?

yes.

I will get 2 and maybe 1 or 2 extra remotes. I like the current Siri Remote but the skip forward and reverse does not always work and tired of fighting it. I currently have 8 ATV's and not all are ATV 4K version.

I will probably order one when they are available and put it into service on our main TV, and push the others down the chain... closeting my Tivo Stream 4K. I am happy about the new remote, but wish they would have been a little less Apple and given us a couple of programmable function keys. This is a friggin remote for crying out loud. There are plenty of reasons to have a few programmable keys and no I don't want to have to use SIri or something to summon the Guide or something. The failed Macbook Touchbar would have been possibly great on the remote.

2 Likes

This looks cool. But I think the best improvement is that the new remote has a visual orientation so I won’t accidentally try to use it upside down! The current remote is designed to look identical on the top and bottom. You can tell the difference but not with peripheral vision and not in low light. This one people should be able to orient subconsciously every time. Big win.

The light adjustment looks sweet. Very excited about that. And more power is always good.

I wonder if 3D output will be possible with this new model?

1 Like

The only thing I need is to decide how many I'm going to buy.

1 Like

Did I see it on display in Costco?

They mentioned HLG support in the presentation but don't see it on the specs.

It'd be nice to have the new Siri remote's fixed up/down clicks to go up and down in the quick guide channels list without requiring to bring down the guide itself, kinda like a conventional tv remote

1 Like

I've been in a fairly strong (i.e. me against the fanboi's) discussion on this, and it Appears that most of the issues that were perceived to the HLG may have, in fact, been due to the lack of 60fps HDR support (and a strangely silent stance on it, despite the "old" box being HDMI2.0a, which should support it.) We will see, once these are out.

I'll be curious to see if the new Apple TV 4K will be powerful enough to handle more advanced deinterlacing of 1080i signals to eliminate or reduce the flickering on certain on-screen graphics and whatnot, vs the current Apple TV 4K. I remember reading back from last year when one of the devs said the current ATV 4K wasn't powerful enough.

1 Like

One issue that remains is the graphical transitions, I imagine they won’t improve when scrolling the guide.

As someone heavily invested in Apple and their eco system (Siri no Alexa’s or Google Home) I recently converted 100% to ATV on all four of my TV’s (3x4k &1xHD). Combined with Channels and all the ATV’s other streaming apps (including Now for Sky Sports) it’s a game changer - I now have the one Siri remote for everything and while it’s not perfect in form and function, when it’s the only remote you use it becomes familiar... another reason for this change was that I wanted to use the larger HomePods as audio for everything and this only really works when combined with ATV.

I watched the keynote and I liked the new features of ATV but not enough to reach for the credit card. The picture I get with my existing 4K box is excellent especially with my home fibre connection.... I am converting my van and will move the HD box to that and will then try to the new model with my main TV!