New Apple TV 4K hardware!

v4.5.5 will be available from the App Store with the fix shortly.

2 Likes

Leaving this here in case anyone has a similar issue: with my older Apple TV 4K paired with the new remote, I needed a complete restart before the left/right buttons worked in Channels even with the latest beta.

2 Likes

Ah yes thank you. Restart makes it work for me now.

Official update now available for me

1 Like

Very weird, a restart fixed it at first but after a while they stopped working. I restarted again and the side clicks work again. I think I'm on a tvOS beta, not sure if that affects it. I submitted diagnostics.

1 Like

I’m on standard tvOS. Seems ok today anyway

Just got the update. Works perfectly. Very pleased. Two thumbs up. Five stars. WAF is safe. Very pleased.

1 Like

I’m running the latest DVR App, rebooted the ATV 4Kv2, and still have a mixed level of success with the left and right clicks on the new remote. MOST of the time they do absolutely nothing and on rare occasion they work properly.

Anyone else? Any suggestions? And diagnostic data I can provide?

1 Like

After another day of usage I am finding the left and right skip buttons stop working from time to time. Restarting Apple TV fixes the issue.

1 Like

I've seen that as well and it seems like an OS bug. Maybe fixed in tvOS 14.6 that came out this morning?

Ok. Didn’t know that was out. Will update and test more. Thanks.

nope

New TestFlight build coming with possible fix.

The issue seems to be related to usage of the iOS Remote.app. If that has been used recently before the app is launched, it breaks the Siri Remote dpad. That should be fixed in the latest beta.

1 Like

The new fix is available on the App Store as v4.5.6

2 Likes

Thanks. The channel surfing feature is a nice addition.

1 Like

I have this problem from time to time too, I’ll try the latest update and see.

One thing I’ve noticed is the scroll wheel on the new remote doesn’t seem to work. For the native video controls you first pause playback, then rest your finger on the scroll wheel, then the UI changes and you can scroll left or right in a circular motion. This doesn’t seem to work in Channels yet though.

The Jog gesture only works in the native system video player. Channels uses it's own custom video player. It's unclear yet if we can even get the info we need from the new remote to even emulate the Jog gesture.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. Fingers crossed they expose that via some API somewhere then.

1 Like

WWDC this week, is the API for the circular scrubbing in custom players in the next version of tvOS?

Nope.

Things like this are attached to the system player and are never exposed. Apple doesn’t really have any concern for you when you diverge from their stuff.

They may if it is a big enough issue that it makes the Apple TV look bad. Hopefully they don't decide to open it up only to a select few apps. I expect they will open it up to make the remote functions work for other players, otherwise it becomes confusing for the customers.

1 Like