New Beta crashes selecting Search

v2024.05.20.1553

IMPROVED: Search page has been completely rewritten, it now allows filtering by section and performs searches server-side

Installed beta and selecting Search crashes app to OS. Sent diagnostics.

Seems to work fine on my Google TV devices. My Firestick Max's crash when I select Search. I know FireTV OS is your least liked, but I hope you can make it work.

v2024.05.21.0833

FIXED: Crash issue in Search page

Installed new beta, not sure if this change was for my problem, but it still crashes back to FireTV OS for me. Restarted FireTV, cleared app data, and even uninstalled/reinstalled app, still crashes. Re-sent diagnostics.

Same here cannot do a search Crashes.

@eric
Submitted Diagnostics

v2024.05.22.0835

FIXED: More crashes in search page, very small layout / interaction improvements

Installed new beta, now Search page displays for about a second and then crashes.
Re-sent diagnostics. Looks like you almost have it working, very appreciative.

Same experience here on v505220835 after update and first use. It displayed a search top menu bar with TV Shows TV Movies Shows etc but then crashed to OS (Nvidia Shield TV) before I could search for anything,

But when I went back in after the crash and tried again it worked OK and I was able to use the search. I presume by design so as not to have too many results, it doesn't display anything until you have entered at least 3 characters, but it seems to be working fine on my test examples. It found TV Shows, TV Movies and Shows for my test search strings.

But, then after going back to Live TV and back into Search, it locked and crashed again.

Must be getting close and the basics of the search did work well before it crashed.

Diagnostics submitted ae81f051-21d1-4986-9745-8b34f6f348fe

@anizocani

Just one thing I would mention on the search re-write. On the earlier versions when you hit search you got a page showing a row of New Series before you started searching for anything. This was quite helpful just in case there was anything new that had slipped through your Passes net. The new Search doesn't seem to have that (as far as I can tell), is there somewhere else this information will be available?

To be honest I don't really use search on the app a lot anyway, I use the Server WebOS for most admin/setting up, but that part was quite useful.

This is handled with On Later now, in a much larger capacity.

1 Like

v2024.05.24.1323

FIXED: Crash on Amazon Fire TV devices

New beta is working fine. New Search is very fast and seems to work great. Easy to do voice search. Still testing but I like it. Thanks for the extra effort. Firestick 4k Max is my favorite device and is working super reliably with Channels DVR. Although it still has a couple of guide bugs, but they don't really bother me at all.

Yep search is crashing terribly ATM for me also. I don't use search as it doesn't support channel search. That's a huge issue when running larger number of channels and sources...

I'm now also running v2024.05.24.1323. I am still getting lock ups / exit to OS issues on my Shield TVs so I guess the fix is specific to Fire TVs not shields?

Also, while the new Search is being worked on I am finding the Tabs for results of a search confusing.

As a result of a random search I get a line with tabs marked:

"TV Shows" "TV Movies" "Shows" "Episodes"

By looking a the results of each tab, it seems "TV Shows" and "TV Movies" shows a list of future programs that appear in the Guide (or that Gracenote at least knows about) and "Shows" & "Episodes" are results from stuff I have already recorded. The nomenclature of this is very confusing especially as the phrase "TV Shows" is used already by Channels as the name for the recorded programs section of the menu system. I have always thought recordings should actually be called "Recordings" rather than "TV Shows" and now there is even more reason to think that.

I think there needs to be a much clearer distinction between searching/results for upcoming programs and searching/results within your library of existing recordings.

I tested my Shield today, but I couldn't get Channels to lock up or crash when doing Searches. My Shield is almost completely stock with the latest release. My only sideloaded app is Channels DVR Beta. You will likely need to send in diagnostics from the app after the failure.

Mine doesn't always specifically do it on the new search, it's more random than that. Going in and out of guide often causes it either on it's own or if you then go into search afterwards. I have submitted diagnostics in the past for this but I understood the newer betas had an inbuilt crash diagnostic submission so the devs could see any crashes without us submitting anything.

I have just managed to "force" a crash in the search.

Go into Guide.
Select a different channel to the current one.
Go back into Guide.
Select another different channel.
Select Search.
The search page appears but is unresponsive to button presses and then crashes to OS.

I have submitted diagnostics 6355d565-d6a2-460d-9c24-d3f903c44c65.

It would be good to know if this is still necessary or if the later betas send crash diagnostics automatically @anizocani @maddox ?

1 Like

Crash reports send automatically unless you have blocked them e.g. with a router-wide adblocker (which is unlikely), though I don't see any crash that could correspond to the one you're describing. This is probably the same guide crash that we're having trouble fixing, and the Search page just happened to draw fast enough before it blew up.

Right now the two big crashes I'm seeing on the latest beta are a native crash related to video decoding, and the guide crash

I couldn't seem to force a crash using your procedure. Although I did have a problem trying to perform more than two voice searches in a row. It would just loop back to the last voice search. Manual entry text searches did not have that problem.

Multiple voice searches worked fine on my Firestick. Haven't found any problem with the Search on the Firestick.

From what Ani is saying above it seems like my issue is more likely the Guide crash bug that they are aware of, and it just happened to occur as I then went into the search immediately afterwards. Not sure if there is any difference in firmware between Fire and Shield, or if it's just hardware anomalies.