NEW: Channels DVR backend for Nvidia SHIELD

The app is only able to write into the NVIDIA SHIELD directory which should show up on the directory yea picker

I got everything setup now with it recording to removable storage (although it didn’t allow me to create a folder in the Shield directory, I had to make one via file explorer). The DVR engine seems to go offline unexpectedly as if the shield is killing it as a background process. I’ve had a few missed recordings and often when I try to access the web interface it is unavailable even when the shield is on and being used. If I go to the DVR app it says the engine is active, but I have to force close the app and reopen for it to allow me into the web interface again.

Edit: I’m in the preview program if that makes any difference

Same happens to me, @JMcGuire. I’m hopeful something in the next update will help fix it.

Yeah, I just noticed something similar to this too. when I go to the settings page it almost always shows the uptime as <1hr…usually something like 21 - 29 min. Like it is resetting itself every half hour or so.

I found something that might help prevent Android from killing the DVR. I added it to the DVR android app and released a new version to the Play Store.

A post was merged into an existing topic: NEW: Android TV app for Channels DVR (experimental)

How’s the uptime been so far?

If the DVR is still restarting a lot, there are a couple other tricks I can try…

I’m not going to be able to test until Thursday when I’m off. I’m still concerned about the USB drive ‘disconnecting’ after a few days too.

I won’t be able to test until next or following week. We are in a massive cleanup mode due to Hurricane Irma. It’s a mess here in SW Florida.:scream:

Not sure when mine auto updated but its been up for 6 hours today, I’ll report back tomorrow

1 Like

DVR isn’t running today, and for some reason late last night I was able to access it on my desktop but not on my phone connected to the same network

Any idea why the DVR service is still randomly being killed, if you try those other “tricks” I’ll gladly test to see if any of them improve the uptime. Also, should the DVR service automatically start after restarts? I’ve assumed no but it so that doesn’t seem to work for me either.

Been up for two days now, not sure what killed it the morning after the update but this is encouraging

3 Likes

How’s your uptime now?

After rebooting the SHIELD? Yes it definitely should auto start.

Still up and running, autostarted after a reboot as well.

1 Like

Still running?

I disabled it while testing windows for a bit, it ran for 3-4 days straight without issue and started fine after a reboot. I’ll test more after I run some more HW transcoding test for Plex and Channels. Trying to decide what route to go on my server build, E3-1245v6 Kaby Lake with HEVC HW support or a more powerful E5-26XXv3 processor without HW transcoding (possibly discrete gpu). Opinions welcome…

After reading more of the Android docs, I’m pretty confident my last change fixes the issue where the DVR would randomly get killed.

Is the issue with USB drives randomly disconnecting still happening?

I switched my Channels back to Shield since I was planning on testing out the remote streaming changes. Everything that I’m running for transcoding isn’t transcoding fast enough even when it’s set to hardware. For example I’m running it right now off my cell, and it’s “Transcoder Running: 6m18.xxxxxxs @ 0.72x”.

Just tried and it works for me. What does the CPU section say? Maybe something else is using a lot of cpu on the shield?