NEW: On Later (DVR pre-release feature)

On tonight has only 5 shows
On this week has 9 shows
movies is improved
Not seeing the little red circle to notify a recording is set

It’s a neat idea, but I don’t think I’ll be using it that much unless clicking the + button shows all of the movies (or whichever section) in the guide. The hard thing with movies is scheduling them or knowing that they’re coming on within 2 weeks, and right now I’m only seeing out to 5 days.

Build v2018.09.11.2225

I like where this is going. Especially when this gets migrated to the other clients. It will help towards discoverability of upcoming shows and better management of passes on clients. I did most of my pass creation from the web UI since it had better options under search to find upcoming programming.

Is there a specific order in which shows/movies are displayed in the different categories? Like channels you watch more often or shows you have seen in the past? Or is it just date driven?

I do see recording indicators to let me know that this show has already been queued for recording.

OTA 30068

32%20PM
14%20PM 03%20PM 47%20PM 24%20PM

1 Like

#1 in the search tab, I see “innovation nation with mo rocca” in new seasons, but not under new seasons in this on later view.

#2 I would love to filter out the words “court”, “pet” and anything classified remotely as “reality”.

#3. When clicking on a movie in the top movies to read the description, the clicking back, lost my position and the + expansion state. Kinda annoying.

This is good if I’m stuck with 2 weeks of guide data. What I would like to see is the ability to schedule shows for the new seasons that start in October just by searching their names so I can get the series Id into the DVR. When my HDD died, I lost my scheduled recordings. Being able to restore that list from a cloud backup would be awesome.

1 Like

Was about to reply and ask how you got 6 posters horizontally, then I saw there was a new version and just grabbed it. Much better use of browser screen real estate! Thanks @tmm1

If I knew how it was sorted or determined what drives it maybe I could figure it out, but for me having to scroll through pages of images just doesn’t help. The eye candy is nice, but guess I’m old school and go by show names, synopsis, episode names and descriptions. The poster art is much nicer when it doesn’t take up so much space if you have to scroll through pages of them.

I’ll keep testing and see if it help me find new material but so far everything I’m interested in I have already watched, recorded, have a season pass or advanced pass for.

I noticed there is no way to tell if something is in HD or SD. I have a few SD channels selected in my Prime lineup, but don’t want to see recommendation for movies on those SD channels.

I’m also curious how much your favorite channels come into play and in what categories.

Thanks for the preview, will keep looking…

I would like to see a selection criteria where you could limit the categories to a specific channel, your favorite channels, HD channels, SD channels, all channels, etc. Also being able to choose how they are sorted, because to me the sorting seems totally random.

I do this using an advanced pass that searches by Title. I compare it to what TiVo calls a Wish List.
Setup a new Advanced Pass
Use something like Channel == CH# or Tags == New since a new advanced pass needs an == to save.
Then add Title == Show Name (Capitalization matters)
or Title CONTAINS Show Name (Capitalization matters)
Save it, then delete the Channel == or Tags == and save again.

Example;
Screenshot_2018-09-11%20Channels%20DVR

Once you see it found something in the EPG you can then set a Series Recording since the Series ID will be available.

1 Like

I would like to be able to preload new shows and seasons into the guide search atleast 30 days in advance. There are some ways for us to pull lists of new shows from our guide provider, but we don’t necessarily know which of them will be airing on your channels and we don’t want to flood everyone’s index with international and cable shows they’ll never be able to record.

We can probably atleast do it for the major networks somehow. I will investigate.

Yep, seems like these days even if you can get 30 days guide, it all comes down to the last week, day, minute on what actually airs. Imagine it’s gotta be fun for the guide provider, especially with all the U.S. FCC channel re-packs going on.

Would be nice to at least get the Series ID for a show, if nothing else…
Not sure how reliable that would be though.

1 Like

Agree. Showing Series ID in Manage Pass and in Advanced Pass would really help.

I’ve tried multiple times over the last 2 days to update.

All I get is:

Version 2018.09.06.1912
Downloading 2018.09.11.2225update…

Which after awhile returns to …xxx.1912 Check for Update.

Tried from Mac, Win10 PC, Surface Pro…using Safari, Chrome, Edge. DVR both: at Idle & Recording

This behaviour was evident on the last update until all of a sudden it worked. Never had this problem in the past…Thoughts?

Edit: FYI…happening on both Qnap & Win10 DVR installations

As always, check Log tab for errors. If it’s failing checksum verification that means the downloads are getting corrupted somehow- either internet issue or local network issue.

Exactly.

Finally got one to load.

Finally got round to having a play with this. It's definitely a nice idea. My 'on tonight' selection seems really movies heavy especially considering I hardly ever record movies. Plus I thought it seemed odd that items were appearing in there which are already set to record as I thought this tab would be focussed on suggesting new things I wasn't already going to be watching. Keen to see this develop as it should be a good way to discover new things.

Just tried to expand one of the sections remotely with Safari on my iPhone and the + became a - but it didn’t give me more shows.

Version 2018.09.12.2037

Same comments as jmdraper.

1 of 11 "On Tonight" I have a Season Pass for. The rest are movies and I hardly ever record those.
1 of 6 "On This Week" I have a Season Pass for, the rest I have no interest in because I've either seen them or don't want to.

Would still like to know (for each category) how these are selected, how Favorite channels affects it (since Favorites are used for other things) and how they're sorted. Until then it's pretty much a time sink for me to use it.
Screenshot_2018-09-13%20Channels%20DVR

Just getting a first look at this tonight, but really like the initial feel of it. “Top Movies” is nice … Previously I’ve wondered how the “Upcoming Movies” are determined from the search tab since the list seem limited and didn’t know how far out it was showing you.

Some of this already seemed to be handled in the Web UI via the search tab, not a bad addition but “Upcoming Movies” and “New Shows/Seasons” has worked well for me and seems easier to navigate (on later has so much content that its a little overwhelming).

Would really like to see the “Upcoming Movies” and “New Shows” added to the app before something like this. Just a personal preference since my family never uses the “On Now” page as it is and would rather hide it if possible.

Tried again tonight to see if I got materially different results. I'd describe the On Tonight feature as having a major bug at the moment. I'm still only getting 2 TV shows that are already set to record in there and then all movies (which I practically never watch or record on Channels).

Finally, was able to update my production DVR, so that I could view this new addition.

Initial impression is favorable, as I am enjoying this new addition. My recording requirements encompass new series, movies and one-offs. This view appears to cover all.

Already picked up one new show that I missed on Search>New Shows. To me it was easier to scan the smaller icons on “On Later>New Shows>+.

Utilizing this view, most times after tapping an individual icon and then return to main screen via backpage <, as tapping search takes you back to “Search” page, I’ve had to then do a pull down to accomplish a full refresh of “On Later” (using web ui).

I will continue to monitor “On Later’’ as part of my daily process and report any problems encountered.