NEW: Remote DVR Access on tvOS

I finally got around to connecting my ATV4 to the hotel wifi, and now I’m 10 minutes into an episode and it’s running great (bandwidth dependent, had to put it at 2Mbps).

The only issue was that I couldn’t connect to my ATV4 from my phone on the hotel wifi, I had to tether it to my phone to do the authentication then back to the hotel wifi. Not an issue with Channels, but thought I’d share for people who might not understand why they can’t authenticate their Apple TV.

Thanks for sharing. I suspected some wifi networks might not allow p2p communication. Thankfully you only need to authorize once (which you can also do at home) and then the ATV remembers your remote DVR address and login.

I think both iOS and tvOS are using software transcoding when streaming recordings remotely. For live TV, transcoding is done with whatever is selected on Channels web UI (software or hardware), but recordings don’t seem to respect the setting. It’s just an assumption (captions always show on recorded tv streaming, and apparently ffmpeg still doesn’t include captions in hardware transcoding).

Huh should be using same transcoder for everything. You can confirm by looking at the logs.

Weird… on any recording, any channel, except CBS, it respects encoder selection:

2017/08/11 10:19:57 [HLS] Starting transcoder for file-167 at 0s (encoder=h264_videotoolbox, resolution=720, deinterlacer=linear, bitrate=4000)

…but for shows recorded on CBS, I get remux…

2017/08/11 10:21:40 [HLS] Starting transcoder for file-234 at 0s (encoder=remux, resolution=720, deinterlacer=linear, bitrate=4000)

Remux means the recorded file is already in h264 and of the right bitrate

I see the button (Remote DVR Access) on the AppleTV, settings menu, while remote. I use the link to authorize the AppleTV, I see a “Done!” message on the web browser of the laptop I used (on same remote wifi as ATV),

The screen on the ATV does not refresh on it’s own, and when I click on the OK button on the “Remote DVR Access” screen, it disappears, but I don’t see the turners show up. It continues to show “No Tuners Detected”…

I see no indications in the server log of any activity that would seem to indicate there was any connections made.

What do I need to look into?

Submit diagnostics from the app

I had the same issue and found that quitting and restarting the beta app on tvOS after authorising caused it to show up correctly.

Basically found the same. I quit the app and restarted the ATV and how see all my tuners via DVR…

I worked with this again. ESPN is one of my main culprits. It runs fine in the web player just transcodes a bit before starting. In the app on iOS and tvOS it starts pretty instantly but it just stutter stops and starts and is pixelated even after running for a few minutes. Any ideas on what else to do to fix this? Thanks!

Looking through logs, lots of repeated mpegts- “Dropped corrupted packet” on channels that pixelate and stutter. Other times when it works it states mpeg2video ac-tex damaged and Warning MVs not available. I don’t really know what this means but hope it helps?

Those warnings are normal at the beginning of any stream and likely unrelated.

Can you try the PiP player on iOS and see if it performs better? That one uses the same streaming method as the web player.

Tested and PiP is working great. Full screen watch causes pixelation and audio/video stuttering and distortion.

Okay great. The fullscreen player uses a streaming method which is better suited to LAN, where it downloads the video and buffers on the device. It seems that’s not reliable when streaming remotely (especially over cellular), leading to some of the problems reported by @ts01 @jmdraper and yourself.

I plan to switch live tv remote streaming to buffer on the DVR side instead, like we do for web and PiP playback. It’s a bit involved though, so I probably won’t have time to get it done until next month.

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan. Plenty early enough in football season :-). Thanks for all the work you put into this. Enjoy the time away!

1 Like

This is the error when I try to log in remotely using my iphone hotspot

DVR Access timed out

This is what the log reads with multiple attempts:

2017/08/13 22:35:43 soapRequest returned error: soapRequest error - StatusCode 500 for AddPortMapping()
2017/08/13 23:35:43 soapRequest returned error: soapRequest error - StatusCode 500 for AddPortMapping()
2017/08/14 00:35:43 soapRequest returned error: soapRequest error - StatusCode 500 for AddPortMapping()
2017/08/14 01:35:43 soapRequest returned error: soapRequest error - StatusCode 500 for AddPortMapping()
2017/08/14 02:35:43 soapRequest returned error: soapRequest error - StatusCode 500 for AddPortMapping()
2017/08/14 03:35:43 soapRequest returned error: soapRequest error - StatusCode 500 for AddPortMapping()
2017/08/14 04:35:43 soapRequest returned error: soapRequest error - StatusCode 500 for AddPortMapping()
2017/08/14 05:35:43 soapRequest returned error: soapRequest error - StatusCode 500 for AddPortMapping()
2017/08/14 06:10:05 [TNR] Closed connection to 1322DBED for ch828
2017/08/14 06:35:43 soapRequest returned error: soapRequest error - StatusCode 500 for AddPortMapping()
2017/08/14 07:19:17 [TNR] Opened connection to 1322DBED for ch828
2017/08/14 07:19:17 [TNR] Closed connection to 1322DBED for ch828
2017/08/14 07:35:43 soapRequest returned error: soapRequest error - StatusCode 500 for AddPortMapping()

Looks like your port forwarding isn’t working, so you need to uncheck the remote access box and add a forwarding rule to your router manually.

Thanks, will try that.

How reliable is this? I just had a crazy idea of hosting a DVR for my mom. Once authenticated does it keeps its credentials without the need of reauthorizing?