New User Experience After a Couple Weeks

I've been using Channels for a couple weeks now and here is my observations, good and bad.

I have been a TIVO user for years, there were things I didn't like with TIVO but for their basic DVR functionality it just worked and worked very well, Whether playback function, or usefulness of the remotes, it did about everything right. After cutting the cable cord I decided to try Channels as I found Youtube TV DVR has many shortcomings. Here is a list of things I've notice, please chime in if you find I'm doing something wrong or I can fix some of the irritations.

My equipment is, Apple TV 4K, 128mb. Server, synology DS218play. Connected by wifi and signal strength is good at about 80%, I'm using GB switch's and equipment and ubiquiti Pro Access Points.

Observations

1. The Apple Remote sucks so I don't want to blame channels for that shortcoming. I wish I could find a replacement remote that worked wirelessly with the appletv, I don't want IR though, I think Apple uses Bluetooth on their remote?.

2. Channels is better than the current streaming services DVR but is not as good as TIVO was. I miss the three fast forward replay options the most.

3. Channels is flakey on detecting commercials, skipping commercials and 30 second skip. I would say commercial detection is 60% accurate. TIVO was nearly 100% accurate but it wasn't an option with all programming and that is where the fast forward function really shined.
    With channels I can skip commercials sometimes and it will skip in a second or two. Other times it can be all over the place, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, etc. On some occasions it appears to just stop and I have to stop and resume the show for the commercial skip to continue. The 30 second skip is probably more frustrating to me, again all over the place, sometimes it's instant and at times upwards of 20 seconds for a 30 second skip.

4. Recording options are on par with TIVO, as well as deleting recordings when you are through. This is the biggest drawback to the streaming services DVRs.

5. The channels interface and menu's are OK, I think they could be a little better but I am still getting used to them.

6. I don't use Channels for live TV so I can't comment on that, but I will probably start testing that soon.

So there you go, if I rated TIVO a 10 for usability and user experience I would give the YTTV DVR a 5 at best and I would rank Channels a 7.5. Channels is worth the cost but has room for improvement, unless of course some of the drawbacks are due to something I'm doing wrong or my equipment.

UPDATE
Thanks to Maddox's suggestion I hard wired the AppleTV and the skip problems are 90% better. So as of now I would rate the Channels DVR an 8.5 and maybe better as I continue to fine tune and learn it better.

Scott

1 Like

TiVo convert here too. Agree with most of what you note, but I am nevertheless (after about 6 months in test mode for me, already a subscriber) happy to leave all that behind. Lots of other experts here, I am not one FWIW, just a new convert.

So far, the AppleTV to me is the best client platform I have tested in terms of performance. Test most of the others too, Nvidia, Androids/Fire/TiVo4K, etc. Yeah the AppleTV remote is weird, and it is really expensive, but you get used to it.

And after a few months you get used to the non-TiVo interface in AppleTV and Channels clients - it's quick (TiVo could be really slow sometimes) and very clean/clutter free. Easy on your eyeballs.

Channels does really well IMO with the ever changing TVE authentication nonsense. TVE authentication will continue to be a hassle.

Comskip isn't their code. Unlike TiVo, it isn't curated by humans. I put up with it because Channels costs me a fraction of what TiVo and Cable cost me. And you can turn it off it it bothers you. I'm sort of meh about comskip as it does a passable job. I will probably turn it off since skipping ahead on Channels (for me) is instant. Maybe someday they could figure out how to crowdsource a curated commercial map from human Channels users? Hmm.

The more I use Channels, the more I like it. Having a good client, server, and network really helps, and the support here is outstanding. I keep increasing my personal Channels "ranking" every month.

The one feature I miss is sharing independent DVRs on my local network, like the T*** supported.

I have not turned Channels over to my family yet. They don't tolerate little niggles well, or my updates to it. They are still putting up with the stock YTTV UI and DVR functionality there - and I don't get the admin complaints for YTTV ("YTTV? Nothing to do with me") :slight_smile: And of course they see the same YTTV DVD recordings on every client they use, and I see Channels.

1 Like

The issues you’re seeing with seeking ahead hanging, is a network issue. Channels buffers ahead a little, which is why some seeks are instant, but can only buffer so much, which is why some other seeks hang, it’s having to fetch everything over the network.

You should do a speed check on your Apple TV to see what kinds of speeds you’re getting. A fast low latency connection will not hang like that.

You could even consider adding a Moca adapter to your network, which uses your coax in your house to provide a wired connection to your devices. These are cheap, fast, and work great. They’re a must if you can’t wire your devices and you’re invested in the best experience possible.

Another option is changing your original quality transport to Streaming. This would move the tech it uses to using HLS which allows for a little better buffering, with the small caveat of longer tuning times (+1-2s) for live TV, but it doesn’t sound like you’re using live tv, so maybe it’s an option.

You can learn more about that here:

As for commercial indexing, experiences will vary. Some channels and shows are indexed better than others. Networks employ lots of tricks to confuse commercial indexers.

TiVo’s indexing is done by hand by humans, that’s why it’s perfect, and also limited to only some prime time network shows.

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to Channels!

Bluetooth is a type of RF. And there are lots of alternative remotes that work well with AppleTV, many of which have been discussed here. The AppleTV can also learn commands from any Infrared remote in the world, so you’re certainly not limited in this regard.

1 Like

You are right I meant to say I don't want a IR remote. I'll edit my post.
Thanks
Scott

Function 101 has a new bluetooth Apple TV remote for $39.95 in the works. They're taking pre-orders now and are expecting to deliver them sometime in April.

I realized you are using Apple TV. Sorry

Maddox,
Thanks for the suggestions, I ran wire and hard wired my apple tv and and the skip issue has went away. My takeaway on this is that the wifi adapter or antenna on the appletv is very weak. I ran a speedtest on the appletv and it was too slow, my laptop located in the same location is very fast. Oh well.

I will rate my experience with Channels a 8.5 to nine now. I'll update my post and report back as I use Channels in a live setting and after testing a few things. Did I say the AppleTV remote suck, LOL.

Scott

3 Likes

I hated the remote that came with my Apple TV box. Spectrum offered a remote for the Apple TV Box. It was named Spectrum Apple TV Remote - Model R39000.

It is so much more user friendly, has backlite buttons, a channel up & down button (you can change channels the old fashioned way) and more.

I am not sure if Spectrum will sell the remote if you don't use their TV service, but it might be available on Amazon or Ebay. Spectrum is selling for $12.00.

Spectrum is selling this remote because their streaming TV service is only available using an Apple TV. Their app is not available on the Amazon Fire Stick.

I mainly use the remote while using Channels DVR since my Spectrum channels are pulled into Channels - I rarely watch TV thru the Spectrum app.

This remote is an upgrade from the Apple TV remote in my opinion.

I used my existing Tivo remote and had Apple TV learn the commands which really eased my migration to Channels. Not all Tivo buttons work but the majority of them do.

1 Like

Its not that it is weak, its just that Wi-Fi has issues in general for streaming. Its only half-duplex and so may other external factors come into play. Hard wired is the best option hands down.

I have 3 harmony hub remotes. Pick one up on ebay, it works AWESOME with Channels. It makes my AppleTV's actually usable. I have the number keys programmed and other hotkeys to make Channels navigation work better. For instance, when I single press the guide button it launches the guide, when I long press the guide button it launches the guide with PIP. Dont let the Harmony haters on this forum get to you. They are still supported and work great.

Here's what I do: Once a day I open up the Channels webpage on my phone, I re-edit the commercials with their awesome gui that they have for commercial detection. I correct any mistakes and save it. It takes me like 20 seconds. I only do this for shows that my wife cares about or ones we watch together. If I forget and we sit down to watch something I edit it after we start it and it applies to the show playing in progress.

Customize Customize Customize...
I found the default UI kind of cluttered and annoying honestly. Some tips that worked for me:
(Server UI -> Clients -> Global Client Settings)
General -
I hide Kids, and On Now, and Schedule
I set Startup Section to Library

Library - Enable enhanced Library

Channel Collections: This is probably one of the best features. Set the channels you want and create as many collections as you want and have them show in the order you want.,

If any of you old boomers who refuse to adapt and keep comparing everything to TiVo and VCRs don’t want the Siri Remotes, I’ll take them off your hands for free :grinning::wink:

The channel up and down buttons on the newest AppleTV remote allow for the same, FWIW. I "channel surf" with that remote all the time, since Channels DVR includes support for it. I agree that Spectrum remote is a great alternative because unlike many other options, it includes Siri voice support, as well as backlit buttons. But there are so few buttons on the Siri remote and I know them pretty well by touch, so I don't really need backlighting. I disagree that Spectrum remote is more user friendly, though. Primarily because it doesn't have any touch surface for precise live scrubbing in a video's timeline. I use that exclusive feature multiple times a day, every day, with the Siri remote and wouldn't want to rely on a different remote that lacks it.

Agreed on Harmony. I have one, and it's great.

Word of warning to the OP, though - it will be increasingly expensive, as Harmony hardware isn't being manufactured anymore. The software end still works/is supported, to some degree though.

The SofaBaton U1 is a reasonable bluetooth candidate, and cost is reasonable.

The SofaBaton X1 is meant to be a competitor to the Harmony Hub remotes, but the experience has fallen short, based on reviews by users here. I'm trying to pick one up cheap, to see if it's at least a newer/still produced alternative.

The touch surface is what I hate the most. To each his own.

Yeah, totally. Thankfully that Clickpad can be customized in the Settings > Remote & Devices, to be click-only, instead of click+touch. At least on the 2nd & 3rd gen Siri remote: Identify your Apple TV remote - Apple Support

I always encourage everyone to choose whatever works best for them, of course. Different strokes for different folks, I hear ya!

Yes, this is the way. You can also verify commercials from the Channels app on you iPhone or iPad, but I prefer doing it from the web browser on my computer. I correct the mistakes in all my recordings--only takes a few seconds--then set commercial skipping to automatic.

If you go into the Clients setting on the server, there are a ton of adjustments and tweaks. You can totally revamp the menus, add remote shortcuts, change the seek times, and much, much more. Just play around with things to figure out what works best for you. Then set some Global Client Settings so that all your devices behave the same way.

How did you add the number keys to the remote? I haven’t found a way to do that on the Apple TV activity. I had them on the TiVo activity when I was using that.

1 Like

Add a PC to your activity and the Harmony magically just SENDS those keys over Bluetooth. You need to have your harmony hub connected to your Apple TV as Bluetooth first.

It’s a weird hack but works. It really opens up the remote.

works great :slight_smile: