New User Experience After a Couple Weeks

I tried that and I also added the TiVo to the activity but still no numbers. Oh well I don’t watch live TV often anyway so it’s not really necessary. I was just wondering when he said that. Thanks.

1 Like

you have to program the buttons individually in harmony under the activity, it works great.,

You may have a different model Harmony than I do. Mine doesn’t have physical number buttons but they come up on the screen for my TiVo activity but not my ATV one. Even adding a PC or the TiVo to the activity didn’t make them appear.

Just FYI to anybody comparing channels comskip to TiVo, I'm a recently moved from TiVo user and their comskip hasn't been curated by humans for at least a year now IIRC. They put in something to do automatic skipping and it is terrible now, worse than comskip on channels. I don't really care for channels comskip and don't want to fool with editing commercial marks so I just skip around and that works fine. I'm used to doing that with the TiVo anyway.

I still think the TiVo playback experience is better overall given the better remote and ease of doing quick play versus channels extra menu taps, but the ability to manage passes and create wishlists is just about as good in channels.

The worst part about channels so far is the guide on Apple TV. Have put in a feature request to have jump forward and back a day buttons added because without that feature it makes it very hard to find things useful to record using the guide. Assuming you like using the grid guide as I do, that is. Endlessly scrolling through the guide with fast forward and rewind is very painful.

2 Likes

Agreed, but just wanted to say, I've discovered so many great shows, movies and specials via "On Later." It's pretty great.

1 Like

In my opinion, Channels is more powerful than TiVo.
I'm not the only one to think the same way. :wink:

Unfortunately, they have to be created from the server web UI for now. Hopefully, it will be possible to do it from clients at some point.

You can get inspiration in Advanced Passes - Channels Community

Yeah I have set up a few advanced passes and they are very customizable (even with the somewhat rough interface), but I still think that TiVo is equivalent in that category. There's no feature that I use regularly that's superior in channels vs. wishlists and manual repeating recordings but I certainly could have missed something. The huge exception being the absolute crap Rovi guide data on TiVo as you said. So glad that channels is using Gracenote.

I had a lot of auto record wishlists for sports and manual repeating recordings for news on TiVo and was able to replicate all of them on channels without an issue, once I figured out where advanced passes were.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.