New user feedback

Hello!

First off thanks for the input so far both here and on the subreddit. I love that the community and developers are so engaged!

I've been running Channels in parallel with our TiVo setup for the past few weeks and getting family input to see if there is a clear migration path to Channels and wanted to share my feelings... coming from a 13 year tivo user!

My sources:

HDHomeRun Prime (Spectrum cablecard)
I basically subscribe to everything.
I was able to pick up one cheap so I decided to give it a try. I was surprised that, at least in our market, very few DRM issues. One example, 501-HBO(east) has DRM, 502-HBO(west) has no DRM and the same shows just times are a few hours different.
Access to 612 channels.

Spectrum TVE:
Access to 173 channels.

HDHomeRun Flex 4k:
Access to 74 OTA channels.
Winegard Sensar antenna in the attic that picks up channels from both the New Orleans and Baton Rouge markets.

DVR Server:
Running on a Synology DS718+
The DVR Server is straight up awesome! I have been giving it a full on workout with recording any and everything Olympics and it has performed like a champ recording 5 or 6 things at once sometimes! Commercial skipping its pretty much spot on including not skipping when the events went split screen with commercials. I love the Channel Collections and Client override options.
A dark mode UI option would be awesome :slight_smile:

So far our only real issues are playback devices. I will say I love having WAY MORE options on playback devices versus needing hard wired TiVo minis!

Devices that I have tried so far:

Web client:
I have been using it from work to watch/listen to the Olympics... works great!

Pixel 4a(5g):
Works great but not really something I would use much since I like my big tv! One UI issue that I noticed when playing back in tall mode, it's hard to tap the 'Done' button as it sits underneath the phones top bar that appears when you tap the screen for controls.

Lenovo Chromebook Duet:
Works just fine.

TCL Android TV (2020 model):
Definitely underpowered and pretty much every app runs awful.

Chromecast with Google TV:
Works fine but hangs up from time to time and ignores button presses which I'm sure is probably due to the weak hardware.
A few times the audio and video get out of sync and the video plays sped up while the audio plays normal when I bump around forward and back too much!

One thing that is just something hard to deal with is no number buttons!!! Which led me to the...

TiVo Stream 4k:
I followed the launch of this and knew it had a rough start.
Love the remote for direct dialing live channels and for quick guide navigation. Plus it feels familiar!
Love that the TiVo button can be the Channels button!
Some of the same issues as the Chromecast (ignores button presses, av out of sync when bumping around too much)
Sometimes it thinks that you are still pressing the button and it just keeps going whatever direction you had pressed.

I understand these low powered streamers are the main issue and not the Channels application.

We have never been an Apple house and I understand that the AppleTV is a preferred device. I guess an Nvidia Shield would probably be the next best option. But both of these have minimalist remotes... once again this is a personal thing not an issue with Channels! I have been reading up on the sofabaton as an alternate remote option.

These are mostly 'old dog new tricks' issues and the biggest hump is change. I know our primary motivation should be getting away from that $170/mo cable bill and kicking the linear premium channels habit. It's embarrassing how many times I guide surf over HBO and end up watching something like Road House... again!

Other thoughts:
One of the first things the wife said was where's the clock! I guess I used it more than I thought too!

TiVo Live Guide - We still use the older TiVo OS version because we preferred the live guide over the traditional grid guide. I don't mind the Channels grid guide though... it's speedy and easy to use. I wouldn't be unhappy if you ever added a TiVo style live guide!

Relying on the TiVo for live/recorded tv and its unusable outdated apps (plex netflix prime), we play the TV input game. I don't miss having to switch inputs to get from Channels to Plex or Netflix or whatever when using a streamer.

The monthly cost is about the same as I'm still benefitting from an old retail promotion on my TiVo monthly service. After 13 years I'm just now nearing what 1 lifetime sub would have cost.

Also added the HDHomeRuns to Plex since I had never done that before. Their Live TV implementation is as bad as I read it would be!

Thanks devs for the amazing work and thanks community for the input.

4 Likes

Same boat as you but I've been using another software solution for about fifteen years. I can echo a lot of what you're saying especially the part about Plex DVR and just how horrible it is. I really regret buying a lifetime pass solely for what I thought would turn out to be a nice DVR solution.

Also popping in to second the clock request. Seems a lot of us would like to see this:

I bought Plex Lifetime back in 2013 when it was cheaper to manage my old dvd collection etc. It is great for that. I just need to find the right point of use device. It not me as much as it is the rest of my users.

Former TiVo user here too. First tried Plex which I could never get the WAF for Found Tablo...that didn't work out because it took too long to tune channels. I then found Channels. Even at the beginning I still couldn't get the WAF for it because it wasn't on the same level as TiVo. Times have changed and the devs stepped up to the plate. I'm now running Channels full time and sold my TiVo while it still had some value left in it. I don't regret the change from TiVo at all and honestly don't miss it one bit outside of the peanut remote.

2 Likes

I use both Plex and ChannelsDVR ... I use ChannelsDVR as a backend for Plex. That way streams and Tuners are shared between them. Channels DVR is really improving the handling of Movies ... but I still prefer Plex for movies as it does automatic collections. Channels DVR is the best for recording TV and watching LiveTV.

We do like the Plex Movies and Free TVShows section.

2 Likes

What are you using for endpoint devices? It's the biggest hurdle for my audience haha.

FireTV 4k ... FireTV Cube and Shield. My main entertainment I use the Cube.

Thanks. With the Shield or Cube, have you ever had the av sync issues I mentioned above. If I bump forward/back too much it happens on both the Chromecast or TiVo Stream.

These new minimalist remotes are killin me! :slight_smile:

Had those issues on Chromecast until I hardwired it.

Apple TV are also recommended ... I have not had sync issues.

Same here. My only regret is not switching over 5 years sooner.

I don't use it often (now that I have the v2 Siri remote for AppleTV 4K, which is great) but I actually taught the AppleTV the IR commands that the TiVo peanut remote emits. This is a built-in tvOS feature, any IR remote can be used. And the peanut remote does work, at least for the most basic commands. It's ergonomic and nostalgic :slight_smile:

Buying a Function remote for every TV was the key to spousal approval at our house.

How do you set this up? Just point the Plex library to a Channels content folder? Does Channels or Plex process comskips?

1 Like

I use XTEVE with an M3U from Channels DVR ... I use XTEVE as a tuner in Plex and everything is shared ... for example watching the same channel in Channels and Plex only uses 1 tuner Plex shares the channels dvr stream.