New user questions

I am considering setting up a NAS for Channels DVR, but I have a few questions that I didn't see answered in the FAQ. I apologize if any of these are obvious or have already been answered elsewhere, but I would appreciate if anyone can help me out before I take the plunge and order a NAS device.

1. Is an active HDHomeRun DVR service subscription ($35/year) also required to get guide data through Channels, or does Channels not require that subscription?
  2. Does Channels get guide data for TVE streams as well, or only for OTA and direct cable?
  3. In the event that Channels were to cease operations at some point in the future, what would happen to my existing server and recordings? Would my recordings still be viewable? Would the DVR still work?
  4. Similar to the above, if I were to stop my subscription at any point, would I still have access to all my recordings?
  5. Finally, any advice on a Synology NAS setup? Anything particular device recommendations or things I should be aware of?

Thank you!

1. Channels provides its own guide information. (Both SiliconDust and Channels receive their guide data from Gracenote.)
  2. Yes, Channels will also provide the guide data for the TV Everywhere streams.
  3. Your recordings are your own. They are saved a plain MPEG Transport Streams, just as they are received. They can be played back in most any media player software.
  4. Yes, your recordings are just plain files on a hard drive.
  5. There are many posts on the forum about preferred Synology NAS equipment, so I'll leave you to do your own investigations.

See pinned FAQ post for informative info:

Unless u wish to use the Silicon Dust HDHR app and dvr as a second/separate thing, no u do not need to buy their service, it has no connection to channels.