Newbie Question 2.0

I tried to use Channels DVR three years ago but couldn't get it to work the way I wanted.

My current setup:

• HDHR5
  • Apple TV
  • Mini pc to host Channels and Plex server

Here's the wish list:

• Time shifting while recording
  • Being able to continue watching a time shifted show after recording ends
  • Recordings appear in Plex Server with commercial skipping enabled.
  • Alternatively, if I could import my existing media into Channels and leave Plex behind, that would work for me as well. I'm not tied to Plex. I just want all my existing media and recordings in one location.

I just got Channels set up again and there was no option to start a recording, either on something currently airing or something coming up. I did a force quit on the Apple TV app. When I opened it again there was no guide data. I know these are probably quirks because I just reactivated an old account and am not terribly concerned about them yet. I'm just wondering how doable my wish list is.

I remember from my first run-through how helpful the community was. That's one of the reasons I' giving this another go. I've been using Plex Live TV and DVR without much luck. I have a couple more weeks before the window to return the HDHR5 closes. I hope I can get this setup to work this time around. I'm attempting to leave TiVo. It works flawlessly, I'm just tired of having to jump between devices when trying to determine what to watch.

Any assistance or guidance would be appreciate!

Check the DVR web UI and see if guide data appears there for your channels, and if you're able to record from there.

Since you last tried Channels, it now has the ability to import your existing tv and movies like Plex.

1 Like

I set it to reload the guide data. It took a while, bit it repopulated.

I set my Plex library to import about two hours ago. I'm assuming that's going to take a while. Some shows are there and most are missing data.

Now that I've imported my Plex library, I want to undo it so I can keep Plex for my own media and leave Channels for just recordings. I'm not crazy about how Channels handled my media.

There's not much so I can go through and delete it, I just want to be sure I'm not deleting the media itself off the hard drive. I just want to remove it from Channels. Is this possible?

Remove the source under the Local Content section and it will remove from the library but leaves the files in-tact.

If you delete individual entries the files will also be deleted.

1 Like

Thanks!

I swear, I do search the forum before asking stupid questions...

I want to change the Storage Path. I had initially set it as the Plex folder, but since I'm keeping recordings apart from my media, I might as well save them to different folders. I found how to add a storage location, but I can't remove the original one I had.

Here’s a link on how to add a new primary storage path, and move your old primary to an additional location. (This will also allow you to fully change the original path, too.)

That did the trick. Thank you!

Searching my other issues. I'll be back. :blush:

Would you feel like providing any feedback on why?

You might want to check out the enhanced library mode that handles larger libraries a little better.

I had Enhanced Library on.

When I imported my library it lumped several unrelated files into one folder. Plex seems to manage my files better.

Could you go into more detail on that? What do you mean “into one folder”

Episodes are usually grouped together by show. There were 98 episodes from various shows all lumped together under one thumbnail.

It sounds like you may have imported them wrong. Channels will group your shows of course.

Did you add your shows folder as the tv import or a movies import?

It could have been your dir structure and file names. Could you provide some examples so we can add it to our list of styles?

Here’s some more info on adding your local content.

I haven't looked at my file names in a while. I'll check out the link you provided and will take a look.

I just looked at the instructions. The idea of going through and renaming a couple hundred files is a little overwhelming. Plex just works with everything as-is, so I'll stick with that for my file server for now and will use Channels for Live TV and DVR.

Oh I didn’t expect you to rename them. I was just pointing to the docs to show what we support for you to see if your formats were different.

We support many filename structures in addition to what is listed. It appears we don’t support what you have.

I was asking to see what your file name formats looked like to see if it was something we could add. To support you and other people that might have your formats in the future.

1 Like

Got it. I appreciate that. I'll take a look the next time I access the PC on my home theater

I just looked at my media. Some episodes were in folders, but most were just in the main directory. I selected the ones outside of the folders and it was exactly 98, the same number of episodes that were grouped together in Channels. So it looks like episodes must be organized by show on the drive in order for them to be grouped together in the app. I'm generally not that organized and trust Plex to do the sorting for me. It does a good job of grouping episodes together even if they aren't organized on the drive.